Experience with Stuv Compact 30, 16H Cube or Rais Q-Tee?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mill Valley

Jul 27, 2020
Northern California
Hello! Looking for a minimalist EPA 2020 stove. Anyone have experience with Stuv or Rais above? Saw a couple of mentions but nothing significant. They're $$ but amortized over 20 years, it might be worth it if the quality is there.

We're removing our 1961 corner fireplace monstrosity (fireplace, hearth, everything) and are excited about regaining a good chunk of our living area. Looking to add a compact woodstove. Primary heat is a gas furnace but efficiency is still at the top of my list. We get lots of 50 degree blowing fog in the summers and I would love to light a fire on occasion without guilt.

Stuv 30 is interesting as it only needs 8" of clearance. Still, while a vertical, rotating stove is intriguing, we'd still have the same problem of the fire being directed out our sliding window vs. into our room. I love the look of our original fireplace but inefficiency aside, who's idea was to orient the entire thing out a window?!

Leaning towards the Rais Q-Tee with base even though that's about the worst product name ever. Thanks.
Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 9.03.14 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-27 at 9.01.42 PM.png

Have you looked at the MF Fire Nova? It's a minimalist design with some advanced tech achieving high efficiency.

Thanks @begreen . I had seen the Nova but this thread makes me shy away from stoves you can't adjust manually:

Have you heard good reviews about how it performs in auto-mode?

Bigger picture, while the Nova is a bit less costly and accepts an 18" log vs. Rais 17" log, I still lean towards the Rais:
- MFFire is a new company. Will they be around in 10 years when I need a part?
- Nova looks a bit like a Q-Tee but it feels like US companies are just trying to emulate that euro look while missing the details. The Rais has a much larger viewing window and cleaner lines.
- Nova is rear exit only which means it would need to sit about 12" farther from the wall than a Rais.

In general, the Rais has much lower clearance requirements since it's constructed from two layers of steel, with an air gap in between meant to aide convection of hot air to heat the room.

Does anyone know if this works as advertised?

The Nova offers a blower option but there's no mention of how it operates or what it looks like (ditto outside air kit)

Thanks all

No problem. We have one Nova owner here that really likes their stove after going through a season with it. MF Fire is a new and innovative American company, but there is no crystal ball for how well it will stand up over time. Same for the company. The Rais stoves I have seen are good heaters. I am not familiar with the Q-tee, but the company has a good reputation. I do see that the Q-Tee has a 1.16 cu ft firebox, so I would classify it as a room heater and not much more. The Nova has about twice the fuel capacity for a longer burn time.

Not sure if you still need input. We have a Stuv 30 Compact and *love* it. Happy to share more of you are still looking for a stove.