exterior masonry chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pyper

Jan 5, 2010
Deep South
Wife and I are buying a new house for Valentine's Day. Nah, just kidding about the reason, but we are (cross fingers) closing Monday. There is a partly finished basement with a fireplace in the unfinished part. We are planning on finishing that part and putting in a wood stove and making a recreation area. Maybe a pinball machine. I'd love a pool table, but there's a post in the middle of it so I don't think that's going to happen.

Anyway, the masonry chimney is primarily exterior. A few inches of the mass is in the house, but most of it is out. From the basement it goes up past the first floor, and then about 4 to 6 feet higher than the edge of the roof. So from the basement floor maybe 21 to 25 feet high.

According to the instructions for most of the stoves I've seen, it's "ok" to just put a chimney connector pipe up into the flue with a block off plate (i.e., no liner), but from reading here I gather that it probably wouldn't work well.

So I have questions:

1) is it guaranteed to not work well, or just likely to not work well?

2) if we try it without, and it doesn't work, then it's just a question of putting a liner in it, right?

The chimney has not been inspected, so it's entirely possible that it might not be usable without a liner.

3) if it needs a liner, how much will it benefit from insulation?

The stove at the top of my list at the moment is a Jotul 118 Black Bear. But my wife will probably want something with a larger window. And I do really like an ash drawer. I've just started looking and there are so many to chose from. My local store sells Jotul and Vermont Castings (which I won't get again), and one or two others.

One critical factor will be the tile liner size of the chimney. Most stoves are 6" and are not happy at all being run into a large flue. You'll need to know the tile size in the chimney and the condition. Generally in this type of setup a liner is the way to go. It will give you better draft, easier cleaning and nicer stove performance. If the tiles are not in top shape, insulation will be a necessity for safe burning.

The other thing to consider is how large an area the stove will be heating and how often. That will help with sizing. You also have the option of installing an insert instead of a freestanding stove.

If you can't reclaim any of the heat going up the chimney (and in your case you really can't), the best thing always is to have an insulated liner of the correct size for the stove. You will want to have your burn conditions optimized. Heating from a basement is not easy, even when everything is just right.

pyper said:
Wife and I are buying a new house for Valentine's Day. Nah, just kidding about the reason, but we are (cross fingers) closing Monday.....

Ya think that's bad -

Our "new" house - Offered on my wife's b-day(May); closed on mine(August)!
What that means, I don't know :-S

Anywayz - Congrats!

My install is flex up and into the flue. With marginal wood, it sucks. With good wood or biobricks, it works well. Basement install, existing masonry fireplace, pretty much the same setup you have. When you sweep, every things gotta come out. That kinda sucks too. Also, my stove isn't quite "EPA", but it's close. Once you get your chimney inspected, take it from there, but keep in mind there are lots of advantages to fully lining.

Even if the stove doesn't need it, even if the chimney doesn't need it, there is just no comparison to a flue lined all the way to the top and a direct connect. Twenty minutes sweeping that stuff down into the stove and being done is pure heaven compared to pulling out a stove and blocking plate to clean the crud out and having to put it all back every time. I know. I went through that drill every year for 21 years. Never again.

And if you are self installing the competition in the liner selling business these days makes the cost of a full liner kit versus direct connect components negligible.

Line that sucker. If you don't now, you will later.

Thanks for all the first hand experience everyone! Liner it is.

I'll post some photos as we move along with the process of converting the room to living space and installing the stove.

pyper said:

I'll post some photos as we move along with the process of converting the room to living space and installing the stove.
Very good decision...better draft, easier flue cleaning, not near as much creosote buildup, SAFER....

Best wishes on your new house, er...HOME!!!
Ed

pyper said:

Good decesion.... looking forward to pics... Oh and congrats on the new place !!!!!

Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.