F500 install question - leave oval plate unscrewed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Green Energy said:
I have gone back and forth on the issue of whether to keep the little bolts in for the oval top and the big top. I don't think it will hurt anything to take them out, and it allows easy access. But I don't need access except maybe once a year, so I have left them in. Don't want to forget where I put them.

Twist the tabs in next time tighten down and you wont lose them, although I don't know why I would ever need them

Attachments

• SDC10159.jpg
    SDC10159.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 579
Ive had my top oval bolts out sense AI bought the stove. Absolutly no problem what so ever

9050lx said:
So what does the fiberglass batting do up there and is it necessary?

The design of the stove is such that maximum temperature area is below the baffle in the area of the secondary air tubes. When the secondaries are cooking, temps are in the 1000 - 1200 F range. Insulation blanket keeps the heat focused in the secondaries to maximize complete combustion. Why not keep the insulation in place per the the stove design?

cptoneleg said:
Twist the tabs in next time tighten down and you wont lose them, although I don't know why I would ever need them

Thanks for the photo CP. Also, thanks Hanko for your confirmation that there is absolutely no problem.

I decided that I would turn the tabs in as well when I do my annual inspection. Just checked the oval, and what-do-you-know, it was floating and I had already turned the tabs in. So I did burn last winter with the oval plate floating. Ditto to Hanko - absolutely no problem.

I do keep a hydrator pot and trivet on top of the oval plate. But when the stove is operating, it is under negative pressure. So I can't see a scenario where the oval is going to pop up.

This is a subject that comes up a couple of times a year, I have never heard a negative either way LOL

i have the whole top unbolted i think it makes it alot easier to clean it will be fine any of the three ways but if you want to take the bolts out after you have run it for a few years good chance you will snap one or more off when you try to get them out

9050lx said:
Thread revival: How important is the fiberglass mat laying over the baffle?I ripped mine a little on my Oslo when removing it to clean.

It's not fiberglass . . . but I know what you're talking about . . . it's important . . . but if it just has a small tear I wouldn't worry too much about it . . . just kind of pull the two ripped sides together. Mine has a rip in it as well from moving it during cleaning (I am not a gentle man) . . . it works fine still.

If I was a stove builder guy, I would hinge the top, kinda like a flip up model. be carefull with that blanket stuff on top of the bafel, its very delicate

stoveguy13 said:
i have the whole top unbolted i think it makes it alot easier to clean it will be fine any of the three ways but if you want to take the bolts out after you have run it for a few years good chance you will snap one or more off when you try to get them out

Are you saying that you have removed the bolts that hold the top onto the stove, the piece the oval piece bolts to??? I would say the top would have to come off if you needed to replace the baffle or tubes.

Someone posted only 1 bolt holds this on I feel 4 but not sure

cptoneleg said:
stoveguy13 said:

Are you saying that you have removed the bolts that hold the top onto the stove, the piece the oval piece bolts to??? I would say the top would have to come off if you needed to replace the baffle or tubes.

Someone posted only 1 bolt holds this on I feel 4 but not sure

i have the top unbolted and the oval piece is still bolted to the top and yes you are correct if you ever need to replace anything the whole top needs to come off there are 3 bolts holding it on one in the back by the flue collar center and two by the front door left and right

Status
Not open for further replies.