Failed Inspection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtsurgeon

Jun 11, 2011
Mojave Desert
I called for final inspection on my new install and failed because of two accent lights that were 36" away from closest corner of stove might get too hot. The inspector said there was a possibility that the wiring could catch fire from the combination of heat from the stove and heat from the 20watt light bulbs. These lights are all metal and the wiring is in a metal junction box but are only rated for 90 degrees as are all lighting fixtures in the house. I asked him about the months of 120 degree weather we get here in the desert. How does the wiring in the attic stand the "intense" heat. He had no answer.
The previous inspector that inspected the stove and pipe install said it would be fine but I needed to install 4 CO alarms thru out the house as per (NEW) California laws. (California sucks so bad with all their bogus regulations)
This inspector today said I only needed one alarm. Arrrrgh! Idiots!

So I took out the lights and now I need to repair the holes in the drywall. I need to complete various trim and tile anyway but still.
I thought the accent lights looked kinda cool but now I'm outta luck. It cost me $200 for the pleasure of inviting these idiots into my house.
Did I mention California sucks?
Just wanted to vent, thanks

Attachments

• light fixture.jpg
    light fixture.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,585
  • light2.jpg
    light2.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 1,553
  • light3.jpg
    light3.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 1,583
Don't fill those holes. Just make it look like you removed them and after the inspection is done put them back in. I think sometimes common sense goes out the window with this stuff. Ever feel how hot it gets underneath and behind a self cleaning oven when operated in that mode. Scared me so much I stopped it. Cabinets were almost too hot to touch.....but hey its ok it was put in per code. What idiots!
Got another one related to heat and lighting appliances. Those halogen under cabinet light get smokin hot mounted right to the wood. I mean smokin hot. Those lights above that stove couldn't possibly cause a problem. If they could then they weren't safe in the first place.

Spoken like a government employee.

The county has no specific clearance specifications and rely on manufacturer specs.
I am in compliance with Woodstock recommendations

Yep, that's what I have planned Pyro, thanks for the reply.
The inspector even suggested the same thing.
Just seems kinda funny to me though.

Well Dirtsurgeon, at least you have a beautiful stove! Looks exactly like ours. May it serve you well.

The lights look great and big brother can eat our shorts.

Thanks Backwoods, we couldn't be more pleased.
The stove has far surpassed our expectations.
Perhaps that comes from burning in an open fireplace for too many years, Ha.

Dirt

Maybe simply cover them with something without removing them. Too late now.

Ha, no doubt Battenkiller. I'm sure the seasoning process won't take nearly as long here in the desert.

Problem is, there are no trees here.

Anyone wanna trade some hot, dry, wind for some hardwood?

Yea Woodmiser, they pretty much just pull right out so that's not so bad.
I guess it just seems so unnecessary.

I'll get over it. I'm just going to sit here in my toasty warm abode and complain for awhile. :)
(Then I need to find more wood)

Dirt

Wiring and lights are usually rated to either 60 or 90* C. That is 140*F or 195*F

NATE379 said:
Wiring and lights are rated to either 60 or 90* C not F!.. that is 140*F or 195*F

+1 Its 90C, which is the same heat rating of NM-B cable. The inspector should know that.

NATE379 said:
Wiring and lights are usually rated to either 60 or 90* C. That is 140*F or 195*F

Awesome! Damn I wish I had known that.
You guys are fantastic.

I knew it made no sense. If the stove got hot enough to ignite the wiring 3' away behind drywall, that would be the least of my problems.

I'm going to cover up the holes, call for another inspection, and go to work so my taxes can pay for this incompetent idiots guaranteed pension.

Thanks so much gentlemen.

Dirt

If you look at the wire it will have the temperature of the wire stamped every foot. it will also have a C after the temperature rating. An inspector that doesn't know this is no inspector don't trust him.

Live vicariously. 27 years ago the builder of my house decked a building inspector in the front yard. Don't get me wrong. Codes and inspections are a good thing. I need somebody to make sure my house is built right.

But it was still funny. The inspector was really clueless and nitpicking something really stupid. And missed at least three things that I had to get on the builders ass about. And he made them right.

Hit me and ya don't get paid. :lol:

So what's the recourse for a failed inspection. This is so blatantly stupid, that it needs to be brought to the attention of the next level authority. They need to know that this guy is making stuff up because he feels like it. At a minimum he needs to show you the code which you are violating.

Besides, the lights look freakin cool!

Bump it up the chain of command at the county. No doubt that fool is talking out his rear end - did he smelled like booze? That certainly is a reason to complain.

No way those lights are a danger.

I hate saying this...but if you know a lawyer that is a friend and will not charge you, have a letter drafted about re-cooping the costs of an install, unintall, and reinstall. Bet management calls you back...

You don't have to go ballistic. Just a letter to the department responsible for inspections asking for the text of the code that he is using for as the basis for failing the inspection.

Words of wisdom from a guy that worked in local government. When you make it as much work for them as they are making it for you all of a sudden things start to happen your way.

OK, go on down to the County Building and start ripping the can lights out of the ceilings. I bet you get some attention. :ahhh:

fossil said:
OK, go on down to the County Building and start ripping the can lights out of the ceilings. I bet you get some attention. :ahhh:

A woman that worked for me supported the computer systems for the department that did building inspections. She had a construction loan and her new house was in progress. An inspector shut down the construction. She shut down their systems.

Not a week I want to relive. :shut:

Status
Not open for further replies.