Fan use feedback

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillsWS

Feeling the Heat
Dec 20, 2011
U.P. Michigan
I have come here to the source of wood burning wisdom to ask for your feedback. When I am sitting near the BK Princess reading, I don't like the noise of the fan. I have it in my head that the stove is less safe without the fan running (something to do with higher exhaust temps?) Is it less safe with the fan off? I will keep the fan on when I am not sitting at the stove reading. I just want to be sure I am doing things safely (new burner, new chimney I installed myself, slowly relaxing my fear that I am going to burn the house down).;em

There is no problem or safety concern for most quality stoves to be run without the fan. Read the user manual, if there are no warnings you should be fine. I usually keep my fan on low but, during a recent power outage, ran the stove for 11 days with no fan.

The fan is great for rapidly moving heat into the room. When I need to get heat fast I make a hot fire, lots of small splits, and run the fan on high.

The fan is also good to cool down a stove that has started to take off, kill the air and crank the fan on high...

KaptJaq

Status
Not open for further replies.