Favorite fireplaces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally can't stand the tv over the fireplace. Am I the only one?

Nope. I hate it too. I dont want to have to look up to watch TV. Gives you a neck cramp/

I just love a good old fashioned Colonial Cooking Hearth...

chula.jpg

300563504_611989ab9d_o.jpg

Perigrine_White_Room_lg.jpg

I personally can't stand the tv over the fireplace. Am I the only one?

We talked about doing this at one house we had looked at, but really you need a gas fireplace that's more decorative than a wood version because of the heat-or so we've heard.

Ours is on the wall to the left of the stove, and up above it, but not as high up as it would end up being on a fireplace. I wanted both on the wall that faced the lake. My grandparents house had a fireplace on the inside wall, the tv on the side wall and the couch below a huge picture window. There wasn't a good spot in the whole place to sit and watch a movie while being able to see the fireplace and outside. I know it SOUNDS like you wouldn't do all three, but you do. We set up our living room so we can see outside, the stove, the TV and the Christmas tree from more than one seat in the room.

AP. Nice, I like it. Do you have a hearth in your home?

Scotty. A buddy of mine has a new hearth in his living room with a wood burning fireplace. It is very efficient and puts a lot of heat outinto his room which has a cathedral type ceiling. It is always interesting to me to see fireplaces that you can not burn wood in. I wouldn't want one. I guess it is just a matter of what you like. A lot of people have the ones with the fake logs and burn natural gas in them.

Gas- this was a fireplace before I put in that insert. No other hearth in the house. I had thought to build my own hearth pad and put in a free standing stove, but it would intrude on the room space in a weird way that would be awkward

Yes, I remember your fireplace well, as we talked last year about it. One of my faves on this site for sure! I should FINALLY have mine done in three weeks or so.....

If not, I'm gonna be in BIG trouble!

Scotty...Love this one, Do agood job on your's and I will give you an all expenses paid trip to Clevland, OH to help redo mine!

3[1].jpg

AP. Nice, I like it. Do you have a hearth in your home?

Scotty. A buddy of mine has a new hearth in his living room with a wood burning fireplace. It is very efficient and puts a lot of heat outinto his room which has a cathedral type ceiling. It is always interesting to me to see fireplaces that you can not burn wood in. I wouldn't want one. I guess it is just a matter of what you like. A lot of people have the ones with the fake logs and burn natural gas in them.
I agree, Gas. I wouldn't want a "fake" fireplace either. The Napoleon NZ3000 I am installing in the living room is a woodburner, it's supposed to be highly efficient as well. It'll be interesting to see how it works out with those 12 and 13ft cathedral ceilings I just installed out there......I'll post a whole thread dedicated to that when the time comes....

Scotty...Love this one, Do agood job on your's and I will give you an all expenses paid trip to Clevland, OH to help redo mine!

View attachment 78001
This is the one that will closely resemble mine, albeit mine will be a ZC high efficiency. Got to Napoleon's site and look at the NZ3000. I personally love the look of that stove. We got the wrought iron optional front, it's gonna look great with that natural stone veneer.

Reactions: Eatonpcat
I'd have to wear my Steelers jersey that day, we'd probably get shot walking around out there in Cleveland! ;)>>

I just love a good old fashioned Colonial Cooking Hearth...
By long and far, my favorite hearth.....I have lots of utensils (all authentic) for the old cooking hearth, but no cooking hearth to put them by. I'll be hanging some of them beside the fireplace for decoration when I get it done.

We are lucky that our house still has the cooking hearth intact - though its post 1800 and hte firebox is pretty small. Might have been for an early iron stove. The ovens are the real deal however - but sadly I cant use them due to the metal liner.

183710_1828547323100_7505742_n.jpg

Our other 2 fireplaces do get used though :)

183532_1828464281024_6224477_n.jpg
5071_1154310667605_2166920_n.jpg

We are lucky that our house still has the cooking hearth intact - though its post 1800 and hte firebox is pretty small. Might have been for an early iron stove. The ovens are the real deal however - but sadly I cant use them due to the metal liner.

Jeremy, I love your house! I know I've told ya before, but saying it again......

Reactions: jharkin

Love the floors!

Reactions: ScotO
Well thanks guys, I think thats the most likes I've ever got on a thread.

Any hearth'ers passing though the the western burbs of Boston are welcome to stop by and warm by the fire anytime....

And Scotty you gotta throw a big party when you finish the living room!

Well thanks guys, I think thats the most likes I've ever got on a thread.

Any hearth'ers passing though the the western burbs of Boston are welcome to stop by and warm by the fire anytime....

And Scotty you gotta throw a big party when you finish the living room!

We plan on it.....hoping we can find a neutral place where we can do a GTG sometime this coming summer.
As for the invitation you gave out, I'm the same way.....any Hearth'ers out there coming through the area, give me a heads up and stop by. We're family here.....

Status
Not open for further replies.