i was going to attempt changing my nozzle tomorrow, when you took the side blocks out , i'm assuming they rotate up?, i bought some replacements just in case, i just wanted to make sure which direction they come out, thanksWrote this nozzle replacement process in a post and thot it would be useful for other BioMass 60 owners. I pray yours is easier to replace than mine.
NOZZLE REPLACEMENT PROCEDURE:
If you hope to reuse the side blocks it may be hard. We've not run with storage so bonding due to creosote could have been worse for our boiler than yours. This is a wood boiler so it's more likely to be gooey in the upper chamber. The key is understanding how the side blocks must be removed. Since ours was stuck, there was no way to tell if you're doing something wrong. I'm of average height, but stocky. So when I did get my body into the boiler, I had no space to work. I finally had to hire someone smaller than me because the 60's chamber is too deep to work from the outside and too small for me to work inside.
1) I tried to use soft tools, wood or nylon to loosen the blocks. Try to get movement in one of the side blocks. Take your pick, front or back. Try both, one or the other will be less bonded than the other. Once you have some movement, use some type of tool (big flat blade screwdriver) to pry on the top of the block to get it to pivot the top into the chamber. I chipped all my blocks prying and working to get them loose but they were still useable.
2) Once loose they will rotate about the bottom into the chamber and then you can lift it from their metal pocket. Getting the first one out on each side is the hardest because now for the second block you can get a wedge behind the second one and pop it loose. MARK the blocks or place them on the floor so they'll go back in the same location.
3) Start over and repeat on the other side. At this point you may want to go get an adult beverage, watch football and attempt the other side following Saturday morning.
4) Now that you've successfully removed the side blocks with hopefully minimal damage. Take a hammer and chisel and beat the crap out of that old nozzle. Turn it into a thousand pieces for all the hours and missed football games it took to get you to this point. You can try to bump it from the bottom, or pry it out, but turning it into powder at this point is more satisfying.
5) I used a right angle grinder used for sharpening bush hog blades to grind/trim the nozzle. It took us 3-4 fitting attempts until it dropped into the nozzle cavity. I can't remember if the nozzle rope insulation is on the top or bottom, I think around the top, but not sure.
6) Clean the side block cavities so the blocks will set properly. Replace blocks back to their same positions. Admire.
7) Now cogitate if a removable shield to protect that nozzle and hopefully double it's life is a good idea.