Fire Chief FC1000 EPA cert Furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wannabewarm

Nov 7, 2018
Middle Tennessee
I am looking for someone who owns and operates an EPA certified Fire Chief FC1000. We bought one about a year ago and have had problems with it ever since. Any suggestions for proper operation that HYC cant or wont give would be appreciated.

We are also experiencing puff back. I did read the mentioned thread. The YouTube videos make me not want to try to light the furnace when I'm home alone. I have heard the 1000 model is much more sensitive then the larger models. But I can't find more information on that.

Can you provide more details regarding your stove pipe/chimney setup? Is your 6" SS liner insulated in a chimney or do you have a double wall SS liner?

I think my postings/videos show my setup.

I just wanted to chime in here and say that I unknowingly bought one of these units. Burning a mixture of oak and hickory anywhere from 13ish% to 20ish% moisture that I've tested and had enough creosote buildup in about 3 months to cause a chimney fire.

No back puffs but seems to be burning too low when not calling for heat and causing too much buildup.

My setup is 6" single wall out of the stove into Selkirk 6" SS out the house.

I just wanted to chime in here and say that I unknowingly bought one of these units. Burning a mixture of oak and hickory anywhere from 13ish% to 20ish% moisture that I've tested and had enough creosote buildup in about 3 months to cause a chimney fire.

No back puffs but seems to be burning too low when not calling for heat and causing too much buildup.

My setup is 6" single wall out of the stove into Selkirk 6" SS out the house.

And to think, last year I was told that I was the ONLY ONE that had issues with this stove. Thousands were sold without issue. They told me it was my wood, to much moisture content, they told me it was the way I was loading, they told me it was my stove pipe exiting the back of the stove. Countless hours, nights of smoke filling up the basement, Baro flying across the basement.

Contact HY-C and ask for the new blower style.

Reactions: brenndatomu
I have the FC1000. I can get good heat and it keeps my house warm. If the temp outside rises above 30deg i get terrible blow back of smoke. I have this unit in my basement and it will fill it with smoke on the warm days. I drilled out the rivet on the Draft blower so it gets more air but if that isn't running i get the blow back. My wife is afraid to use the thing because shes cracked the door and it has blown open with smoke and embers flying out. Has anyone figured a way to stop this froom happening?

I have the FC1000. I can get good heat and it keeps my house warm. If the temp outside rises above 30deg i get terrible blow back of smoke. I have this unit in my basement and it will fill it with smoke on the warm days. I drilled out the rivet on the Draft blower so it gets more air but if that isn't running i get the blow back. My wife is afraid to use the thing because shes cracked the door and it has blown open with smoke and embers flying out. Has anyone figured a way to stop this froom happening?

I can't help ya, but I would contact the BBB and file a complaint. I can't believe these things are still being sold based on the reoccurring issues I keep reading about.

Reactions: sloeffle
I can't help ya, but I would contact the BBB and file a complaint. I can't believe these things are still being sold based on the reoccurring issues I keep reading about.
I heard Menards is dropping the Shelter version...just clearing out the remaining units...