Fire Chief FC1500 install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any modifications to the stove technically would void your house insurance... we are talking about a $1500 stove here not a house and your safety. You already know what you have to do. Try to get a refund along with selling the two furnaces... maybe a weekend garage burner won't mind the short burn times and inefficient fuel consumption.

Reactions: brenndatomu
Along with enabling the draft blower with thermostat, would it also be possible to connect some kind of controller that when the flue temp dropped below 350 degrees, kick on the draft blower at 1/4 or 1/2 speed? Perhaps point me in the right direction?

Along with enabling the draft blower with thermostat, would it also be possible to connect some kind of controller that when the flue temp dropped below 350 degrees, kick on the draft blower at 1/4 or 1/2 speed? Perhaps point me in the right direction?

Its possible but your already having a hard time heating your place as is... burning slower won't make it much more efficient. It might increase heat exchange through sacrifice of seconday combustion.

Its possible but your already having a hard time heating your place as is... burning slower won't make it much more efficient. It might increase heat exchange through sacrifice of secondary combustion.

Would use the controller to help jump-start the fire when reloading. Noticed that once the flue hits 350-400, the draft starts to take over. Therefore, the controller would turn off the draft blower once the flue temp reached 350 - 400. Now, we all know I still won't get a 12 burn time but will help with the primary air boost.

I think and can't prove... I believe the secondary air control box opens up too much, therefore the short burn times? This is the only air inlet that changes as the furnace heats up. Once the fire catches, it just runs away until the fuel is gone. On that Tundra the draft is set, secondary tubes are always open and the primary helps control the burn.... right?

To add... I know that when the flue temp is ~350, the plenum temperature should be ~110.

So are you currently using the blower... I thought you disconnected it only using it for startups?

To add... I know that when the flue temp is ~350, the plenum temperature should be ~110.

Also just for reference purpose when my flue is 350f my plenum is 120-125f. That's with the blower on consistently until coaling.

So are you currently using the blower... I thought you disconnected it only using it for startups?

Using the draft blower when I need to load the fire box in one shot.. last night I tried a different approach. Loaded ¼ the fire box at 10:30, another 1/4 at 11 and filled the rest for the night at 11:45. This allowed the fire to slowly start.

This is a screenshot of my Ecobee sensors located in random rooms. Not sure if anyone is familiar with the Ecobee thermostats, but the allow you trigger your heating system using remote sensors or bases on the average temperature between all rooms. (Really neat stuff). But the first screenshot of my phone shows house temps when the furnace is trucking along.
IMG_1379.jpg

This is what I woke up to at 6:30 (these temps are a first for not reloading at 3:30/4am. (First time that I have not reloaded. Flue temp measured ~250 and the distribution blower was still going.

IMG_1380.jpg

Outside temps were in the teens last night (~18F).

I think and can't prove... I believe the secondary air control box opens up too much, therefore the short burn times?
Can't you just change the length of the chain on that rig to adjust how much it opens?

It would open wider
I didn't mean shorten it...take it off, set it aside, go to the hardware store and buy your own (its just lamp pull chain) with a couple more connector ends like they have there, and get to experimenting...change it one link at a time.
If you buy a 3rd connector link then you can put it in so that the main part of the chain can remain, but you can adjust the overall length by changing out a short piece on the end. Make sense?

You will also need wire... old cut up extension cord will do.

You will have better luck letting the firebox blower kick on and off more often in shorter periods of time. Also hook your thermostat up to the temp controller.

You are using the hottub timer to compleat the circuit to the mypin on startup and when the thermostat calls for heat.

Reactions: Mrpelletburner
But you have the mod that lowers the distribution blower right?

Not yet that's the icm 326. Believe it or not... that's still in the mail.

Once I do have the speed controller installed, the blower will run longer at slower speeds... as the plunum heats up the blower speed increases. It essentially minimizes the on/off of the distribution blower. Slow heat is better than no heat.

Not yet that's the icm 326. Believe it or not... that's still in the mail.

Once I do have the speed controller installed, the blower will run longer at slower speeds... as the plunum heats up the blower speed increases. It essentially minimizes the on/off of the distribution blower. Slow heat is better than no heat.

Is this the icm 326?

https://www.icmcontrols.com/productdetails/ICM326HN

Reactions: brenndatomu
Yes and ordered. I have to believe the distribution blowers are very similar between the 2 furnaces.

What distribution motor is on your furnace?

Also the pot is only to adjust the prob resistance nothing special.

On the tundra it's a 1/4hp 1075rpm/4 speed

How much did you pay for the icm. Send me a link.

Status
Not open for further replies.