Mrpelletburner Posted By Mrpelletburner, Feb 9, 2018 at 9:01 AM

1. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Didn't know about that lil detail...I guess that's something...don't think it will help, but its more than just excuses, or playing the blame game.
    This is the one issue I'm not fully satisfied has been addressed is the wet wood possibility. Those moisture meters are not fool proof. And if this was any other stove with a proven track record, I'd say it is a wet wood problem...but in this case I still say poor design, and then the wood could be a contributing factor...maybe.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    DoubleB, maple1 and laynes69 like this.
  2. woodey

woodey
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 8, 2018
    Loc:
    ST. Lawrence Valley N.Y.
    With all the time and $$$$ Mr.PB has put into this stove it reminds me of a slogan from a window manufacturer--"Only a rich man can afford cheap windows.":mad:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Mrpelletburner

Mrpelletburner
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 20, 2011
    Loc:
    Mass
    Definitely have a whole new view of why stoves cost X $$.

lampmfg and brenndatomu like this.
  4. DoubleB

DoubleB
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 4, 2014
    Loc:
    NE Wisconsin
    @Medic21 , I believe you if you are getting yours to work better. However...

@Mrpelletburner , you have done an inordinate amount of work to try to get it to work safely and overcome a dangerous situation. You should be able to work out a refund for either one of those failing, not to mention both. If this thing can't be solved with a simple fix, then it's going to be a problem for countless others. Continue being polite, while ratcheting up and holding firm to the bottom line of a refund. Ask them to self-impose a deadline, and don't take no for that answer. Make them commit to a way they can make things right if they don't meet their deadlines. Get some clout behind you...the retailer, the fire marshal, your insurance company, or--I hate to even say this--one of them opportunistic lawyer sharks that I typically wish didn't exist.

Also, your success in dealing with these guys fairly and squarely, and firmly, will help you in more situations in life bound to come.

You're not going to be able to get much more technical help from this forum, due to both lack of new ideas and lack of remaining burning season.

You can do it! We're all cheering for you!

maple1, woodey and brenndatomu like this.
  5. JRHAWK9

JRHAWK9
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 8, 2014
    Loc:
    Wisconsin Dells, WI

I'm glad you solved the wood burning equivalent of the Rubik's cube. :) However one should not have to do such a thing to burn wood safely...period.

woodey, brenndatomu and Medic21 like this.
  6. Medic21

Medic21
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 26, 2017
    Loc:
    Northern Indiana
    Honestly, all the problems I had were due to not burning this stove hot enough. I'm purchasing another furnace. Which one will end up in the shop is TBD. I regret not putting the Hitzer in my basement for the ability to burn coal and I may swap it based on that.

Once I get done burning and clean it out for the last time I'll pull all my notes and give a very long review if this in other places. There is still no online reviews for these that I have found.

7. Medic21

Medic21
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 26, 2017
    Loc:
    Northern Indiana
    For the record, without some kind of update to this thing in supplying secondary air via its own channel, I will not recommend it to anyone.

I know HY-C personnel are viewing this thread and I will state to them they have half a good furnace. They need to engineer an update that adds secondary air to keep and hold a secondary burn that does not use a one air inlet. When the draft comes in the front three inches how do they think secondary air will bypass the from holes and travel to an area where it has to reverse course to go up the flue. Simple common sense should say that.

Either that or everything we know about flowpaths in fighting fire is bullshit. Air follows the path of least resistance.

8. laynes69

laynes69
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 2, 2006
    Loc:
    Ashland OH
    Not to mention when you are burning "hot enough", the outer portion around the door will glow. That enough would make it a no for me! Every system has variables, but that furnace makes things much harder and less desirable.

brenndatomu and woodey like this.
  9. Medic21

Medic21
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 26, 2017
    Loc:
    Northern Indiana
    Actually, if you use the correct length of wood and push it all the way back it does not do that very often at all.

10. woodey

woodey
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 8, 2018
    Loc:
    ST. Lawrence Valley N.Y.
    Does "correct length" refer to the manufacturers suggested length or what you feel is the safest for you to use?

brenndatomu likes this.
  11. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Any idea what you will get?
    If that happened once, and it was not my own fault, and/or there was a problem with the furnace (like a leaky door gasket) then that would be one too many times for me.

woodey likes this.
  12. Medic21

Medic21
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 26, 2017
    Loc:
    Northern Indiana
    A little of both. Manufacture says 20". I have anything from 18"-24". 22 and shorter I have zero problems unless I load all ash, that stuff burns hot.

13. Medic21

Medic21
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 26, 2017
    Loc:
    Northern Indiana
    Hitzer furnace made locally. Old school coal/wood furnace. A lot of the Amish have the same model in a stove here so it is a very proven unit.

IMG_1359.PNG

14. JRHAWK9

JRHAWK9
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 8, 2014
    Loc:
    Wisconsin Dells, WI
    oh, come on, with this furnace you probably need to cut it within a 16th of an inch of it's "sweet spot" in order for it to "behave", don'tcha? :p ;lol

Medic21 likes this.
  15. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Oh, I guess I misread your earlier post about the Hitzer...I thought you already had one in the garage and were thinking of switching the places of the two furnaces.
    Didn't realize those were made in Ind. either, though they came from PA...

16. JRHAWK9

JRHAWK9
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 8, 2014
    Loc:
    Wisconsin Dells, WI
    Not sure how they can legally sell it.....unless they are exempt because they are Amish.

17. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Probably only marketed as a coal furnace now...I've seen some other old school furnaces doing that too

18. Medic21

Medic21
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 26, 2017
    Loc:
    Northern Indiana
    Berne, IN, local family business. They are sold as coal only. I've priced the anthracite coal and it actually decently priced. I was going to purchase one last year till I found this. About the same price and I regret that now.

19. JRHAWK9

JRHAWK9
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 8, 2014
    Loc:
    Wisconsin Dells, WI
    I hear ya.....my beef with religion is for a different forum though... ;lol

Mojappa likes this.
  20. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Yup, not appropriate here

DoubleB and maple1 like this.
  21. Mojappa

Mojappa
    Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 14, 2018
    Loc:
    Gerrardstown, WV
  22. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Whats so funny?

23. Medic21

Medic21
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 26, 2017
    Loc:
    Northern Indiana
    Wow, sorry. Kinda glad I didn't say what I really think...

24. Mojappa

Mojappa
    Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 14, 2018
    Loc:
    Gerrardstown, WV
    I was laughing at the Amish joke three posts above mine, hence the three up carrots (arrows)

25. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    One dumb needless comment and a decent thread goes into the toilet....

brenndatomu likes this.