Fire Chief or Shelter EPA stoves feedback

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
No money back either.

Let’s say they did sell 2,000 units... so far we have only heard from 5 to 6 people regarding the back puffing issue. While most unhappy folks will take to the web and reviews, satisfied people you tend not to hear from.

The fact that we have not heard from one satisfied owner is very alarming.

I think it would wise for HY-C to put out a series of videos regarding what is a good burn and how to have success with the different models. I think the vapor fire guys do a great job with their videos explaining how to operate the stove.

No money back either.

Let’s say they did sell 2,000 units... so far we have only heard from 5 to 6 people regarding the back puffing issue. While most unhappy folks will take to the web and reviews, satisfied people you tend not to hear from.

The fact that we have not heard from one satisfied owner is very alarming.

I think it would wise for HY-C to put out a series of videos regarding what is a good burn and how to have success with the different models. I think the vapor fire guys do a great job with their videos explaining how to operate the stove.

3-4 years ago the Drolet Tundra was the display wood furnace at local Menards, along with a non EPA unit. When the original tundra was discontinued Menards went to the Shelter SF 1000 as the only display unit, they currently have 3 in stock. I'm guessing they've moved a bunch of these just because they are what's on hand at your local big box store.

I think the vapor fire guys do a great job with their videos explaining how to operate the stove.
Short video- (1)- Purchase and install furnace (2)-Put in paper , kindling and ignite (3-)Wait for #3 to appear on computer,load wood, shut door, walk away and enjoy:):);)

Last edited:
What I don’t understand is how did the FC1000 pass the EPA test without back puffing?

Also, correct me if I am wrong, I don’t believe the EPA test proofs burn times (actual heat output), just that the unit burns clean.

Short video- (1)- Purchase and install furnace (2)-Put in paper and kindling and ignite (3-)Wait for #3 to appear on computer,load wood, shut door, walk away and enjoy:):);)

I think, while the details are off just a little, Sara from Obadiah’s does a great 3 video set on the FC1500. The start up fire never looks like the start up fire from my unit. Might be just different wood?

I think the vapor fire guys do a great job with their videos explaining how to operate the stove.

caevman-pic.jpg

I think they did it because it's an unconventional FURNACE and wanted to show people how it's operated. Those who are used the the manual ones may be scared of the electronics and therefore not wanting to even consider one.

Has Tundra posted their test? Haven’t looked and figured someone would have a link.
Good question...I don't recall seeing the times listed...but I might have missed it.
You have plenty of past and current owners here that will vouch for it though...

3-4 years ago the Drolet Tundra was the display wood furnace at local Menards, along with a non EPA unit. When the original tundra was discontinued Menards went to the Shelter SF 1000 as the only display unit, they currently have 3 in stock. I'm guessing they've moved a bunch of these just because they are what's on hand at your local big box store.

Wonder if that Menards has received any complaints or feedback?

I think, while the details are off just a little, Sara from Obadiah’s does a great 3 video set on the FC1500. The start up fire never looks like the start up fire from my unit. Might be just different wood?

The beginning of this is a little ;lol

Last edited:
Yeah, I have seen the video. Probably done under tightly controlled conditions not achievable for the most part in real world applications.

Last edited:

The beginning of this is a little ;lol

That’s funny. Told me the 2” rise on the flue wasn’t enough, changed it. Told me the basement door wasn’t a good cold air return, changed it. Told me this and that was wrong with the installation, changed it. Told me chimney wasn’t high enough, changed it.

They need a new video that says the customer is wrong and did it wrong.

That's the only thing FC does is blame the wood and operator it's a wood stove itsi supposed to burn wood and put out heat the only thing it puts out is smoke in your house mine was professionally installed burning 9percent dry and can't heat a 985sq ft house so yes this company will blow smoke not only .in your house but up your butt too

That’s funny. Told me the 2” rise on the flue wasn’t enough, changed it.

The SS T-snout connection is about 18” deep, therefore I have to have a 20” SS horizontal run. I do have a slight rise, but doubt it is 2”.

Since the Baro is set to -0.06” wc, I can only assume that my setup is ok? I also have added an OAK.

If your draft is in spec at the furnace outlet, whatever goes on downstream of that is irrelevant. You could have 20' of horizontal (an exaggeration) and it wouldn't change a thing as long as you had spec (-0.06"?) at the furnace.

Reactions: brenndatomu
If your draft is in spec at the furnace outlet, whatever goes on downstream of that is irrelevant. You could have 20' of horizontal (an exaggeration) and it wouldn't change a thing as long as you had spec (-0.06"?) at the furnace.

Baro is at the wall and measuring 18” to the rear of the stove.

Told me the basement door wasn’t a good cold air return, changed it.

Did you really install a return air duct?

During HY-C's last visit, they suggested installing a 12x12 floor grate for return air. Had an HVAC guy over to quote and he told me I was nuts.

During HY-C's last visit, they suggested installing a 12x12 floor grate for return air. Had an HVAC guy over to quote and he told me I was nuts.
Not to mention illegal in many/most places...unless it has a fire damper built in...

Not to mention illegal in many/most places...unless it has a fire damper built in...
That's because FC will not admit that they don't have a clue on how to fix the problem any good business would admit it and either fix the problem or give you your money back not Fire Chief

Did you really install a return air duct?

Yes, I’m replacing all the floors in the downstairs this year so I said screw it and cut a hole. I’ve since built a return out of the masonary boards that were left from the old wood burner.

It made a difference on how efficient the furnace is and it will produce heat an hour longer but, did jack chit for the puffing.

Fire Chief had me drill the rivet out of the exhaust blower that finally gave the fire box enough air to quit the puffing but as I said before it will not heat my 985 sq ft house with 9 percent dry wood and a fire chief seller did the installation

it will not heat my 985 sq ft house with 9 percent dry wood and a fire chief seller did the installation

That is a head scratcher as I did not have an issue with heat output, just the back puffing (you might have seen my youtube channel?).

Assuming you sent photos of your setup to HY-C? Besides removing the rivet, what else did they suggest?

What are you burning for wood (maybe you already stated)?

Have you measured the supply air temperature?

Can you post photos of your setup? Perhaps with the help of the folks here they can provide suggestions to achieve heat output (besides melting down the furnace and relying on the hot melted steel providing heat).

Reactions: brenndatomu
They had me put a garbage bag over my propane furnace filter I am burning kiln dried hardwood have not measured the air intake I was told I have the perfect set up 0 flaws but no heat