Fireplace insert choices help please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BWB1212

Sep 6, 2012
Hi,

New to the forum and going to be buying a wood burning insert for my masonry fireplace. Got my choices narrowed to:

1) VC Montpellier
2) PE Alderlea T5
3) Quadra-fire Voyager
4) Enviro Boston 1700

Anyone have any experience with these inserts or if any are better than the rest. Your input will be greatly appreciated.

You'll get gobs of help, I'm sure. It will actually be meaningful help if you'll reveal some information....like where you live (climate), what your house size & layout are, what you're planning on doing for fuel, have you budgeted for the rest of the system...liner kit? Stuff like that. Welcome to the forums! Rick

Oh yeah...dimensions of the fireplace, description of hearth...pics would help immeasurably.

Live in eastern MA, 1400sq / 2 story cape, thinking of using combination of seasoned hardwood and wood brick fuel (Envi, Biobrick or North Idaho Energy logs). Got someone lined up to install stove and Homesafe liner kit already, just need to buy insert.

Fireplace opening is 40"W x 30"H x 22"D
Back width is 29 3/4"
Masonry hearth is 16 1/2"

Thanks again for the help.

Of the 4 my preference would lean toward the PE Alderlea T5 for ease of liner cleaning and the enclosed baffle. But I do like the looks and quality of the Enviro Boston a lot.

I have the VC Montpelier and am pleased with it. It is a smaller firebox, about 1.5 cubic feet, so it really has to be stuffed to get an overnight burn. It does a good job of heating the 1,640 square foot main floor of my Long Island, NY ranch. It is centrally located in an internal masonry fireplace/flue with an un-insulated liner kit and 15 foot flue. What type hearth do you have? The Montpelier requires an R factor (thermal resistance) of about 1.5.

KaptJaq

EDIT: Correct size of main floor

Personally, I would go with the Enviro, but I'm biased being a former owner. I really liked mine. It also has the largest firebox by far, and will give the best burn times. The PE would be a close second though. The best baffle system of the bunch, and good burn times as well. The enviro will probably cost less too.

If you want reviews you can also check here: https://www.hearth.com/ratings/search.php

Do you already have seasoned wood at hand? Seasoned means it has been split and stacked in the sun and wind for at least a year (oak needs two). Many people think they just can buy seasoned wood once it gets cold but rarely they get what they are looking for. All of the inserts you mentioned will require dry wood or you will probably be very disappointed this winter.

KaptJaq - Not sure of the R factor of my hearth. It's brick 16 1/2"W x 8" tall. Do you have any issues with the blower fan noise on the Montpelier? I have seen some complaints about it.

Grisu - Do not have seasoned wood yet, was going to buy some. Guess i can get extra and season it further for next winter. Going to do more Biobricks or Envi bricks thou.

KaptJaq - Not sure of the R factor of my hearth. It's brick 16 1/2"W x 8" tall. Do you have any issues with the blower fan noise on the Montpelier? I have seen some complaints about it.

Grisu - Do not have seasoned wood yet, was going to buy some. Guess i can get extra and season it further for next winter. Going to do more Biobricks or Envi bricks thou.

Standard brick has an r value of about .2/inch. Your 8 inches of brick should give you an R vale of 1.6 which exceeds the requirement.

The early units had a problem with fan noise, the sheet metal would rattle or there would be a 60 cycle hum at lower speeds. They have beefed up the mounting system and it is much quieter. I have installed two of these, one pre-modification and the other post modification. The pre-modification unit took some tweaking to get it quiet (some gasket rope around the fan assembly to absorb the vibration). The post modification unit was quiet out of the box. Unless I am trying to quickly warm a cold house I run the fan at half speed or less and do not consider the noise intrusive.

As with all EPA stoves, it really likes properly seasoned wood.

KaptJaq

At 1,400 sf in the North East I'd go with 2 cf firebox minimum. Then let budget and aesthetics dictate what will work best for you. All of the units you listed are high quality well liked units, but I would let firebox size help guide you.

Reactions: BrowningBAR
I was thiiiiiiiis close to buying an Enviro Kodiak when I got my insert. I liked everything about them. The insert that I did buy and the Enviro have similar numbers so my choice came down to price mostly. No complaints about my Lopi, but sometimes I wonder if I would be happier with the Enviro.

Thanks for the input, right now leaning toward the PE T5 Alderlea. Good loking insert, can't find any complaints about them, reviews all seem positive and good size firebox.

Of the 4 my preference would lean toward the PE Alderlea T5 for ease of liner cleaning and the enclosed baffle. But I do like the looks and quality of the Enviro Boston a lot.

Hey begree, one last question, do you know if the blowers on the PE T5 blow straight out from the top of the unit or from the sides. Just checked out the owners manual online and it looks like blowers are on the sides of the unit.

I think they blow across the top of the stove, but double check with someone that owns one.

Status
Not open for further replies.