Fireplace Xtraordinair Large Flush Insert questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hi all,

I'm a new FPX (Lopi) large flush insert owner and wanted to weigh in / ask a few questions here.

My impressions so far:
- It's a good looking unit. Clean lines, minimal.
- It's easy to get up to temp from start. I've followed Travis' recommendations to get a smaller, intense burn going before adding.
- Even with the air wash and running good burns without much smoke, the glass does get dirty. Fortunately, it's been relatively easy to clean with glass cleaner and water/ash, but I'd rather not have to do this every time! Any recommendations here?
- My main issue so far is that the blower doesn't kick on for a long time. Often it takes 30-40 mins and cat temp is 800-900 degrees before it starts up. Seems like a bad spot to put the snapdisk (lower right). Anyway, the store recommends trying to bend the disk closer to the unit, so it heats up faster. I plan to do this, but need to figure out how to disassemble the front to get access. I'll check the manual, but appreciate any directions here.
- The blower fan, which is loud itself, often creates rattles in the lower vent. I'm guessing there's not much you can do about this, but am open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Take the right blower off, get the snap disc out, trow it away, connect wires directly, you will be able to turn it on and off manually. This snap disco is a joke

Take the right blower off, get the snap disc out, trow it away, connect wires directly, you will be able to turn it on and off manually. This snap disco is a joke
Here is what I suggest. Remove the face of the insert. Separate the connectors for the fan switch so that you can put the face plate off to the side. But, I will tell you, mine connectors were a groan to separate. It is like they are only meant to connect one time. From there, unscrew both fans and re-tighten them. I had some rattling too and this quickly fixed it. I recently developed some rattling when the fan is at about 50%, but she was silent for the past year. I imagine a simple adjustment and the rattle will go bye bye again.
I would leave the snap disc in place. I had to replace mine after 3 seasons, but sometimes I leave the fire going with no intention of returning for awhile. If i disconnected it, I would need someone to shut it off for me or I guess I could hook it up to a wifi outlet. Just make sure you don't pack wood into that front right corner. Allow some air to move around. I keep the stove running most of the time, but if the fan shuts off because it got too cold, it usually does not take very long at all to heat it up enough to trigger the fan.
I am happy with the insert overall. I did trash a couple of cats already, but I have a new ceramic one under warranty and a new metal one to choose from for next year. Right now I am burning crappy dead fall wood, so no sense to put a new cat in.

Here is what I suggest. Remove the face of the insert. Separate the connectors for the fan switch so that you can put the face plate off to the side. But, I will tell you, mine connectors were a groan to separate. It is like they are only meant to connect one time. From there, unscrew both fans and re-tighten them. I had some rattling too and this quickly fixed it. I recently developed some rattling when the fan is at about 50%, but she was silent for the past year. I imagine a simple adjustment and the rattle will go bye bye again.
I would leave the snap disc in place. I had to replace mine after 3 seasons, but sometimes I leave the fire going with no intention of returning for awhile. If i disconnected it, I would need someone to shut it off for me or I guess I could hook it up to a wifi outlet. Just make sure you don't pack wood into that front right corner. Allow some air to move around. I keep the stove running most of the time, but if the fan shuts off because it got too cold, it usually does not take very long at all to heat it up enough to trigger the fan.
I am happy with the insert overall. I did trash a couple of cats already, but I have a new ceramic one under warranty and a new metal one to choose from for next year. Right now I am burning crappy dead fall wood, so no sense to put a new cat in.
yeah, I use wifi outlet, very convenient. you can put timer on and off at any time.

Thanks to you both for your suggestions. I'll try keeping the disk for now (if it will turn at a much more reasonable temp).

Silly questions, but how do you actually remove the face? If I recall from install, I think it basically just rests on a few tabs and you can lift it off/on. Obviously, I need to remove handles of bypass and air control slider. Also, it looks like I need to remove the knob on blower control, as well. How does that come off?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
You are correct, remove the knob for Cat and remove know for the air control. From there, lift up along the face of the insert. This will release the face. From there, you will have enough slack in the blower wiring to put the face off to the side a bit. Just disconnect the wire for the blower knob. These connections were a groan to separate on mine. The blower knob stays attached to the face. Once you do it, you will see it is no big deal. With the face removed, the fans are right there.