Firewood seller’s

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I finally found my moisture meter after 2 years after misplacing it. I have 20 to 30 cords to sell, and other wood that I need to know the moisture content of. Great, now I will know. I took some fresh split readings with the General MM,

For Sale wood,
Siberian Elm (2 yrs seasoned) = 10.5%
Lodgepole Pine (dead standing) = 6.5% (double checked on another piece, 6%, mountain wood)
Red Oak (2 yrs, cut small) = 12.5%
Ash = 10% (just a little bit)

Wood I'm splitting right now,
Apricot tree wood = 20%-21% (dead standers, some rot)
Siberian Elm = 35% - 42% (looks drier)
Poplar = 50% (fresh cut trees, dripping)
Russian Olive = 25% (cut last spring)
Black locust = 20.5% (cut last spring, may have been dead)
Blue Spruce = 17.5% (logs on ground for unknown time)

I guess I should tell people the wood is very dry, so they don't stuff their wood stove and have a run-away situation. I'm going to split the Spruce (17.5%) this year and sell it, too. I'll sell the Apricot and Black Locust next year even though they appear to be around 20% moisture content.

Last edited:
Reactions: Itslay90
I finally found my moisture meter after 2 years of misplacing it. I have 20 to 30 cords to sell, and other wood that I need to know the moisture content of. Great, now I will know. I took some fresh split readings with the General MM,

For Sale wood,
Siberian Elm (2 yrs seasoned) = 10.5%
Lodgepole Pine (dead standing) = 6.5% (double checked on another piece, 6%, mountain wood)
Red Oak (2 yrs, cut small) = 12.5%
Ash = 10% (just a little bit)

Wood I'm splitting right now,
Apricot tree wood = 20%-21% (dead standers, some rot)
Siberian Elm = 35% - 42% (looks drier)
Poplar = 50% (fresh cut trees, dripping)
Russian Olive = 25% (cut last spring)
Black locust = 20.5% (cut last spring, may have been dead)
Blue Spruce = 17.5% (logs on ground for unknown time)

I guess I should tell people the wood is very dry, so they don't stuff their wood stove and have a run-away situation. I'm going to split the Spruce (17.5%) this year and sell it, too. I'll sell the Apricot and Black Locust next year even though they appear to be around 20% moisture content.
That’s good. You’re doing the right thing by selling dry wood. I’ll say that’s a good percentage, to be in. Do you burn in one of these need epa wood burning stoves?

Yes, they really need to pass a law against that
Maybe it's an American cultural thing to lie cheat and steal.
On the other hand, if I had a woodlot full of hardwood, here in America, it would be in my best interests to cut and deliver as quickly as possible. Hardwood shrinks by 10% as it dries. If I sold dry wood, that would be a 10% loss on competitors who sell off the splitter.
Everyone else sells green wood and calls it seasoned, seasoning has no meaning, so savvy seller sells green wood and says whatever.

I have a masonry heater that I built.