Firewood !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Not really
I have had too much! When your sheds are all full of CSS'd, and you still have a 3-4 year back-log of logs piled outdoors, that's too much, IMO. The logs begin to rot before you can use them, at some point.

If they had enough value to make the time required to move/sell them actually worth something, I'd guess you could argue for that. But spending most of a day to load and deliver an unsplit load of logs sort of kills any profit in that endeavor.

If you have a proper way of keeping it dry, no

Reactions: Ashful
Just keep the top covered ?
Yessir.
Can you have too much of it, ?
If you can't get out the door to process more wood, then you might have too much...for the time being. You may have to crawl out a window to get to the splitter, but soon you'll have the entry door cleared, and be back on track. 😏

• Haha
Reactions: stoveliker
Yessir.

If you can't get out the door to process more wood, then you might have too much...for the time being. You may have to crawl out a window to get to the splitter, but soon you'll have the entry door cleared, and be back on track. 😏
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 I asked because they’re outside I have the tops covered and it’s in a open part of my yard that gets a lot of wind and sun I just was lil concern that it will rotted

If the top is covered with something rigid, that won't sag, collect water, or rip.

My problem is the space to store it. I built a shed that I thought big enough but it hold about 2year worth. I then started stacking on the side and back of it with tarps. But I still say no.

Reactions: Split
What's funny is that I'd bet most saying "no" have, what... under 10 cords stacked?

For most of the last decade, I kept 25 - 30 cords CSS'd, and easily another 20 - 40 cords in logs. How long would it take most of you to burn through 60 cords? Not "face cords" or "bush cords", or any of the crap some of you like to use, but true 128 cubic foot stacked cords.

So, I will buck the trend, and still say yes... you can have too much wood. In fact, I've been working to cut way back the last 3 years, to where now I'm only keeping 17 cords CSS'd and maybe another 20 cords in logs. Much more manageable.

• Wow
Reactions: Woody Stover
Well, an old timer told me over 40 years ago

"Don't get too far ahead on your firewood. If you were to die unexpectedly, the guy who replaces you will be skating free with your woman for awhile!" ;)

That was while everyone had smoke dragons though.......
Yeah, with an efficient stove that free-loader will be skating free even longer! 😆
What's funny is that I'd bet most saying "no" have, what... under 10 cords stacked? How long would it take most of you to burn through 60 cords?
That would be me. I had over ten cords several years back, but haven't really been stacking a lot in the interim, maybe a few cords..been in glide mode and tapping the bank. I'm down to four or five cords. More than half of that is White Oak and BL, so that ups the amount of actual heat I have in reserve. I only burn about a cord and a half a year, so 60 cords would last me into the afterlife maybe 20 years. 😏
I have six or eight cords to process this summer but the majority of that will go to my SILs' stashes. I'll get a couple or three cords for my stacks though.

Last edited:
Was the stack covered?
LOL! Probably not. My tarps won’t last that long.
I'd think IA might be one place where you could get away with not covering wood stacks, more than in a rainier, humid and less windy place like here..
But maybe that's why your tarps don't last that long--they get beat to death by the wind! 😆

Reactions: Stinkpickle
I have about 8 CSS and covered. My target is 15. Still trying to get that third year on hand.

My rule of thumb, too much is when the wife says no more.