First scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KYrob

Jan 8, 2010
KY
Don't have any pics yet but while at work last week, I was on top of one of our buildings doing some welding and decided to check out the scenery. Along our property line where a line crew went through about 8 months ago I spied a whole bunch of cut logs and figured I better check it out. What I found was about 5 or 6 truck loads of locust,cherry, and hackberry just layin around and semi piled and nearly all delimbed. Found the plant manager and he gave the whole pile to me. Brought my first load home tonight and figure I have about 4 or 5 more to go. Easy to get to and most is in managable pieces already. Figure on sawin, splittin, and stackin in a day or two as the temps are supposed to get back down to around 40 to 50. Been in upper 80's lately and that's to hot for me. Anyway, free, easy to get to wood is great.

Rob

KYrob said:
Don't have any pics yet but while at work last week, I was on top of one of our buildings doing some welding and decided to check out the scenery. Along our property line where a line crew went through about 8 months ago I spied a whole bunch of cut logs and figured I better check it out. What I found was about 5 or 6 truck loads of locust,cherry, and hackberry just layin around and semi piled and nearly all delimbed. Found the plant manager and he gave the whole pile to me. Brought my first load home tonight and figure I have about 4 or 5 more to go. Easy to get to and most is in managable pieces already. Figure on sawin, splittin, and stackin in a day or two as the temps are supposed to get back down to around 40 to 50. Been in upper 80's lately and that's to hot for me. Anyway, free, easy to get to wood is great.

Rob

So, maybe a couple cords? Nice find.
Can't wait to see the pics.

You've done it now ,your hooked and faster than any drug yes hooked on wood. Statistics show most of us never kick it so you will be scrounging wood for a long time to come. Enjoy !

KYrob said:
...Anyway, free, easy to get to wood is great.

Rob

For a guy who is still working on his first scrounge, you seem to have a clear understanding of the scrounging philosophy.

Good find! Keep them coming, after all, the price is right.

Someone once said to me the finest species of tree is the freetree :)

Woodchip, you dug a bit to find this thread!

You've got the right idea - keep looking in places and you'll start seeing a lot of downed wood and free scrounge possibilities. Tell folks you know that you are always looking for wood - I've scored a lot of wood by folks asking me to come and help process a downed tree in their yard or something - they get free help and I get free wood. Once a lot of folks know you want wood, you might be surprised by how much wood you may gain access to - just be sure the wife is on board........you might be gone a lot........ :lol:

I have a sly advantage to many over here......

I have a small orchard and a cider press.

Hard cider is a very useful currency round these parts...... :lol:

And it's great going back through a few older threads, saves me asking questions that some you have answered more than once already......... ;-)

Ah, that cider sounds great!

There is some pork cooking in cider on the woodburner as I type, very nice smell to come indoors to after my last forage of 2010.

Must start a thread on orchards, apple pie is one of the most traditional American dishes I can think of :)

woodchip said:
Someone once said to me the finest species of tree is the freetree :)

Nothing wrong with that,its my fav species in fact. :coolsmile:

Cider is great too,had a few last night,probably a few more tonight ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.