First time dropping a big one.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Microduck17

Burning Hunk
Dec 21, 2017
New Concord Ohio
My buddys dad had a big oak that was uncomfortably close to his house. He told me that I could have all the wood I wanted if i took it down.
I have never de-limbed a standing tree before. I got up in it and used my dewalt 60 volt chainsaw to drop all the biggest limbs on the side facing the house so the remaining limbs were pulling it in the direction I wanted it to go. Long story short it went almost exactly where I wanted it. What do you pros think?

The saw in the picture is my 460 rancher wearing a 24 inch bar.
d355d0214eb38abc37ece5c4f05afa41.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job. I dropped my first big one this winter (or at least what I consider big) 22". But, it wasn't near the house. Hearing it crack and slam to the ground was one of the most exhilarating and terrifying things I have heard.

Your Skill level has gone up. But if your having doubts let Pro Do It. Never worth saving $$ or getting killed. Great Job. Now buck up and do some log splitting

Reactions: Microduck17
Is that some rot in the trunk? Watch the chips when you are making your cuts to make sure you are cutting solid wood. If you see dark chips or sawdust, look out! If you are cutting rotten wood, the hinge could fail and that tree could go anywhere! :oops:

You got up in it? You have some nerve. Did you climb up on a ladder or what.
Very dangerous, Amigo, to climb a tree with a chain saw. Glad it worked out well for you.

Yeah I had to get up in it there were too many limbs on the side facing the house they would have pulled it towards the house if left up there. The tip of one limb hit the house when I cut it off. It tore the window screen and did some very minor damage to the siding. The house is in bad shape anyway the owner said he really didnt care he was just glad to have it down. He has a bad back and cant climb around.

There was a lot of rot in the trunk I knew it would be sketchy but I left all the limbs on the side I wanted it to fall onto and the top was slightly curved the same way. I wanted it to be about 3 feet further to the right but it twisted some when it went over.

I have a lot of work ahead of me to get it from tree on the ground to wood in the stove. Gonna sort out the rotten stuff out and use it for bonfire wood.

Thanks for all the replys.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Anytime it goes where you wanted it to go is a good day. Hinge looks good but the tree looks like it fell not in the direction the hinge was cut or maybe it rolled that way? Anyways good deal.

Anytime it goes where you wanted it to go is a good day. Hinge looks good but the tree looks like it fell not in the direction the hinge was cut or maybe it rolled that way? Anyways good deal.
Yeah, 'duck said he missed his spot by three feet. But you have to say he got lucky, when you see that the hinge was in punky wood. At least it wasn't his house. ;) :oops:

Last edited:
It did fall in the opposite direction of the house so I feel it went pretty well. I acutally wanted to go back to my place and get my 200 foot recovery strap and pull on it with my truck to enshure it went in the correct general direction but the owner was just like F*** it let it go where it wants to. I had serious doubts about the hinge too but because of the way the buildings and other trees are situated on the property we really only had the one option.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Nice drop anytime a big one goes down it can be a little nerve racking.

We are beginning to clear out some space for more parking and a future barn. There's a fairly large, 30-36", black spruce that I'm nervous about. It's very tall, but I plan on using my tractor and winch to insure it goes where I want it to.