First winter heating with wood.In need of advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It doesn't really smell

It's the same stuff we use on liners for insulation

No it isn't but it won't hurt anything either.

I'm a little surprised that you would recommend a product that is not rated for the temperature it will see. Would that meet code?

I'm a little surprised that you would recommend a product that is not rated for the temperature it will see. Would that meet code?
When did I recommend it? All I said was it won't hurt anything. I know this because I have put miles of it on liners in accordance with the instructions for that listed system. And that hasn't caused any problems

Looks great Bill, ......Oh and one more thing that people forget, make sure your wood is the optimal length for you stove, Noting like re sawing hundreds of pieces of wood, will help you to remember that.
Yeah, our stove takes 21 inch logs, front to rear, max, and it is difficult to load if you have any embers or debris in the fire chamber against the rear wall, so our sticks are cut to 19 inches whichs gives easy wiggle room.

The tape is still stuck and hasn’t melted and I have had the stove going at night for the last week or so..-4c this morning..Thanks all for the help

I don't think the tape will melt, just that the adhesive will stop sticking. And tape eventually come lose.

Reactions: bholler
I don't think the tape will melt, just that the adhesive will stop sticking. And tape eventually come lose.
Yes absolutely

How did you stuff 20 cords into your basement? I really need to see a picture of that. I can't even imagine. I guess you canadians take burning wood way more seriously than we do down here in New Hampshire.

Summer cut wood is going to be very wet.

Around here mosquito's with EEE kept many of us from cutting. Not that the weather has cooled, I need to work like a dog to get already dried Ash out of the woods.
Only rated to 350 deg, it's not rated for that application.

My stove was professionally installed by a sweep, there is no silver tape at the seams, and
When did I recommend it? All I said was it won't hurt anything. I know this because I have put miles of it on liners in accordance with the instructions for that listed system. And that hasn't caused any problems

As a professional sweep, not disavowing it, is an implied recommendation.

Around here mosquito's with EEE kept many of us from cutting. Not that the weather has cooled, I need to work like a dog to get already dried Ash out of the woods.

My stove was professionally installed by a sweep, there is no silver tape at the seams, and

As a professional sweep, not disavowing it, is an implied recommendation.
No it is not a recommendation at all. If it posed any risk at all I would say so. It should never be needed and won't do a thing for long but it won't hurt a thing.

How did you stuff 20 cords into your basement? I really need to see a picture of that. I can't even imagine. I guess you canadians take burning wood way more seriously than we do down here in New Hampshire.

Summer cut wood is going to be very wet.

Only rated to 350 deg, it's not rated for that application.

No it is not a recommendation at all. If it posed any risk at all I would say so. It should never be needed and won't do a thing for long but it won't hurt a thing.

That makes much more sense.

Ask Holler, he's installed miles of the stuff, must be a valid reason.

The good news is that you don't have 20 cords in your basement. More like 8.
If it's a species that dries quickly, you might be ok. If not, watch out for mold and be prepared to get it out.