First year with wood insert, not really helping . . . please help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think about the Regency I3000L? There's one by me for $1500 new someone is selling. 2.9 cu ft firebox.

I think the 3000 is 2.3 cu ft.

The 3100 is 2.9 cu ft.

At least if I read the regency web site correctly.

There maybe a bit more room in front of the firebrick. 9" is just by the firebrick pattern. That is a good price, not much more than stoves 1/3d smaller and the stove by past reports heats even larger spaces quite well. IIRC about the only issue that has come up has been with the deflector. This got replaced with a better part a few years back. @bholler would know more. He cleans several of them.
That deflector has been replaced with a removable/replaceable heat deflector.

It was the 3100L, the bigger one with the 2.9 cu ft box. It ended up being sold. I'm still looking for something bigger! I tried the convection loop and it definitely helps however by the time the heat in the fireplace room is evenly distributed throughout the 2600 sq ft house it's turns out the whole house are 65, as opposed to the fireplace room being 85 and the bedrooms 58.

Haven't seen it mentioned yet, but with my Kennebec, it likes small splits. I had similar problems with less than ideal wood, as well as rounds, and as soon as I quartered even a 5" round, no issues whatsoever. Secondaries like it a lot. Other than start up, my air is closed completely (as possible), until I'm ready to reload.
And knock it off with all the fancy insulation pics, you're making me look bad! I'm in the 'stuff as much Roxul up the chimney as it will take, and call it good'

If it will fit, the Osburn 2400 may be the most affordable large insert.
https://www.osburn-mfg.com/en/products/wood-inserts/osburn-2400-wood-insert/

Yes, I'm looking at that one, the CW2900 and the Drolet 1800i. The 2400 being the most expensive. My wife is not on board with spending anymore money on heating with wood so I'm searching every day for a good used one for around $500.

When looking at a used insert, any recommendation on what to look for? I understand firebricks, glass, gaskets etc. can be replaced and I've done that before what specifically the casing etc.

Yes, I'm looking at that one, the CW2900 and the Drolet 1800i. The 2400 being the most expensive. My wife is not on board with spending anymore money on heating with wood so I'm searching every day for a good used one for around $500.

When looking at a used insert, any recommendation on what to look for? I understand firebricks, glass, gaskets etc. can be replaced and I've done that before what specifically the casing etc.

$500 for a decent stove in this area will take a long time, if ever. Especially if you have very specific requirements. I looked at a couple used stoves on cl that seemed like good prospects. After that I decided it was not worth wasting anymore time on. Maybe you will be luckier. Try to get as many pics as possible. Look for bent or warped burn tubes, warped or broken baffle, warped door, warped box, warped air wash deflector that sits above the door, cracks, broken welds/seems, fan works, lots of rust.... Ah, forget it and buy new ;)

I use a Dutchwest 2500x02 insert with blower that looks exactly like yours. Manual says 58000 Btu is max. It was installed with 6" pipe & blocking plate, orange caulking in gaps. I'm very confident in it as a supplemental heat source; reducing the natural gas boiler demand. You're missing a blocker plate & orange caulking which should be within arms reach of your insert.

I think you have a home insulation problem, including air leaks. If windows were not installed with foam insulation before the trim went on & similar; much of your heat & cooling goes outside. You then need an oversized heater/cooler without fixing the losses. Check with your local utilities for home efficiency audit. This should include a blower door test for air leaks. Next, they recommend how to fix what problems they found & pay for most of the cost. Our program covered 80% of the cost of 39 cans of air sealant, cellulose insulation for garage ceiling & attic.

At the same time, get a pallet of wood bricks to take your wood quality out of consideration. Wood moisture meter should be used on a fresh split of wood. Take what you've seasoned, split it again, adjust meter for wood species, then measure.

Consider fans to move the heat around, a brush & extension poles to keep the 6" clean, then maybe a humidifier.

After all this, I'd spend money on a bigger insert, which could require a 8" pipe.

Reactions: JMBoriss
I tried the convection loop and it definitely helps however by the time the heat in the fireplace room is evenly distributed throughout the 2600 sq ft house it's turns out the whole house are 65, as opposed to the fireplace room being 85 and the bedrooms 58.
If you left your furnace on, the wood stove would probably carry 75% of the houses heating load, or more, no? Over the course of the average winter, maybe more like 90% if you include the warmer days where the furnace never runs?
Or are you trying to go 100% wood heat?

The 2400 is a third larger in real world capacity and can be loaded N/S. If the goal is to mostly heat with wood, go large. For inserts with a 6" flue collar that would be ~3.0 cu ft inserts made by Osburn (or Enerzone), Pacific Energy, Regency, Lopi (or Avalon), BK, Quadrafire.

Firebox size isn't a measure of btu/hr output. It's just the size of the fuel tank - or total btu capacity. Not all stoves can burn that load at the same rate or put all that heat output into the house.
Right. High BTU/hr ratings just indicate how fast you can burn through a load, but the best heat extraction occurs at low burn rates. High burns send heat up the flue.
Or was it a US stove, or other subpar insert?
It's said that higher-priced inserts extract heat better, but I'm not sure how that works. At any rate, I would buy a higher-quality unit rather than buying a cheapie and getting low resale value. Not to mention that higher-priced units generally give you less problems. You have to also decide what features of a stove are worth to you, such as ash-handling etc.
Come up with the money somehow, you won't regret it.

I used to live on Garfield Dr. in Whitmore Lake, Michigan.
No kidding? So did I for a few years. I’m now over by independence lake.

No kidding? So did I for a few years. I’m now over by independence lake.

Yes, I lived there for about 3 years 8900 Garfield Dr. from 2005-2008. I used to live in Brighton, then moved to New Hudson then ultimately Ypsilanti Township, south of 94 until I moved back to Indiana in 2016. I worked at Beaumont Hospital for years. I'm originally from Columbus Indiana so moved back home in 2016. Small world, I miss the cold and snow of Michigan! In Indiana it gets cold, but not as much snow.

The goal is tocompletely heat my house with wood. Keep the thermostat at 65 then rarely have it turn on as long as someone is maintaining the insert. We actually did have a energy efficiency company come out and assess our house. The only thing they advised was adding another 12 inches of blown in insulation in the attic and suggesting caulking around the exterior of the house/windows are it's starting to deteriorate. I plan on painting the house this summer anyways so I'll do that. Our windows are fine they said. They're the original Anderson ones from 1994 when the house was built so I guess they're good quality.

So I found an Osburn 2400 for sale, person is asking $500 firm I'm picking up next Sunday. It was made in 10/2009 she said. Has the blower and faceplate, everything. I wanted to pick it up this weekend but she's not available but she said she would save it for me. I'm super excited. It's about a 10 hour round trip but I'll be taking my 6 year old son and my dad in my truck so it should be a fun time. I assume that date of manufacture is just as good as the newer ones?

Last edited:
So I found an Osburn 2400 for sale, person is asking $500 firm I'm picking up next Sunday.

It's about a 10 hour round trip but I'll be taking my 6 year old son and my dad in my truck so it should be a fun time.
Cool!
Meh...I did a 16 hour round trip to pick up my Kuuma furnace, so...ROADTRIP! ::-)

Yes, I lived there for about 3 years 8900 Garfield Dr. from 2005-2008. I used to live in Brighton, then moved to New Hudson then ultimately Ypsilanti Township, south of 94 until I moved back to Indiana in 2016. I worked at Beaumont Hospital for years. I'm originally from Columbus Indiana so moved back home in 2016. Small world, I miss the cold and snow of Michigan! In Indiana it gets cold, but not as much snow.

The goal is tocompletely heat my house with wood. Keep the thermostat at 65 then rarely have it turn on as long as someone is maintaining the insert. We actually did have a energy efficiency company come out and assess our house. The only thing they advised was adding another 12 inches of blown in insulation in the attic and suggesting caulking around the exterior of the house/windows are it's starting to deteriorate. I plan on painting the house this summer anyways so I'll do that. Our windows are fine they said. They're the original Anderson ones from 1994 when the house was built so I guess they're good quality.

So I found an Osburn 2400 for sale, person is asking $500 firm I'm picking up next Sunday. It was made in 10/2009 she said. Has the blower and faceplate, everything. I wanted to pick it up this weekend but she's not available but she said she would save it for me. I'm super excited. It's about a 10 hour round trip but I'll be taking my 6 year old son and my dad in my truck so it should be a fun time. I assume that date of manufacture is just as good as the newer ones?

Get a lot of pics before the trip and post if you like.

Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC

I lived on Garfield from 09-11. I grew up in New Hudson. Lived in a few different places in Ypsilanti while kind of going to eastern university. My parents now live in Brighton. Small world indeed. Hope your road trip is a success. Happy burning.

Try to get lots of pics before that kind of drive.

How are you going to move it?

Try to get lots of pics before that kind of drive.

How are you going to move it?

I've got a truck and 1000lb mover's dolly and ramps. Maybe I'll ask my father in law if I can borrow his engine hoist. I moved my 2500 which weights about 300 lbs by myself just with that dolly and 2x6s off and on the truck bed. Looks like the Osburn 2400 weights about 550 lbs. My father is coming with me to pick it up so I'm confident we should be good. I'll just bring moving blankets, tarps, tie downs etc. . .I've ask the seller for a lot of pictures, haven't gotten any yet. I'll definitely post when I get them.

Find out the lay of the land that you will need to deal with at the sellers place. That will enable you to formulate a plan and make sure you have the tools and materials with you that you need to load/haul this beast with no problems.
I have loaded/hauled and installed/removed a whole list of 500# (+) wood stoves and furnaces, mainly by myself...not by working hard, but by working smart. Wheels are always good, whether they are on a cart, or something as simple as a couple pieces of pipe to roll on. Prybars or 2x4s used as levers to lift in conjunction with a stack of wood blocks, one block at a time, will allow you to lower/lift easily (albeit slowly) And when you can make it work, lift just one side at a time.
Removing weight, such as the door and firebricks is always a huge help too!
Take your time, think it through, be careful...you got this!

Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC
This time of the year I would be thinking sled. Get a sheet of good plywood under it with some holes in it to tie ropes to, and you should be able to pull it almost anywhere. Even right up a ramp or some planks onto a trailer or truck.

(Yes strip it down as much as possible).

Assuming you're frozen & snowy like I am....

.... We actually did have a energy efficiency company come out and assess our house. The only thing they advised was adding another 12 inches of blown in insulation in the attic and suggesting caulking ...

If they didn't do a blower door test, you need another audit. Here, attic insulation is paid for 100%.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If they didn't do a blower door test, you need another audit. Here, attic insulation is paid for 100%.

No, they didn't do a blower door/vacuum test. What do you mean attic insulation is paid for 100%? I don't think Indiana has anything like that!

So I'm picking the insert up, not this Sunday, but the Sunday after next, per the seller's request. In the meantime there's a hearthstone, cyldesdale in the other direction for $800. It's been for sale for a couple of weeks. I can't help but keep thinking the deal with the Osburn 2400 won't work out since it's such a good deal and over a week until I can pick it up. so still looking at other options, but I have hope. The seller will be sending me pictures this evening. I'll post those when I get them.

Looks like the Clydesdale is 2.4 cu ft box. Looks really high quality. Soapstone seems pretty cool.

Last edited:
I’m not a pro who has ever experienced any soapstone stoves, however, from my countless hours of reading on this forum I believe soapstone has it own drawbacks. I will let someone else comment on this. I guessing though the better option is to hold out for the insert.

No, they didn't do a blower door/vacuum test. What do you mean attic insulation is paid for 100%? I don't think Indiana has anything like that!

I mean the energy audit program pays for the insulation. You need to contact each utility company you use and ask.

Okay so here's the only pictures I could get from the seller. It also comes with the stainless steel pipe. Don't need that but hopefully I can sell that and maybe recoop some of the costs? Anyways, It definitely needs a new paint job and go through, which I would do anyways and probably new firebricks. Seller said it has a date of 10/2009 and they purchased it in 2010 but has been in storage the last two years. I'm going to download the manual and give it a read. Anyways, super excited for next fall/winter. Also pictured in the firewood I've been stocking up so far for next season. Mostly ash, red maple, hackberry and some osage orange. It should be seasoned by next season, hopefully.

IMG_3958.jpg

IMG_3957.jpg

IMG_3961.jpg

IMG_3956.jpg

IMG_3960.jpg

IMG_3959.jpg

01717_3dYWGN3Du01_600x450.jpg

00B0B_2uNEJYOQsJx_600x450.jpg

IMG_3968.jpg

IMG_3719.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.