FR9Ford Posted By FR9Ford, Jan 6, 2018 at 11:15 PM

1. FR9Ford

FR9Ford
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Farmersville, Ohio
    what an American hero. Should i hire an inspector for this thing? HomeinPA got me all freaked out

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, NJ
    You can do it yourself. I did it 2 years ago and it made a huge difference. As like you I was and still am in a learning curve, thanks to this site.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. FR9Ford

FR9Ford
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Farmersville, Ohio
    Im talking to inspect the install. Someone had said that the install wasnt code?

4. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, NJ
    If you have any doubts about the install itself, ask an installer (not the one you worked with before) and ask what he/she thinks. However, the addition of the chimney is a no-brainer IMO.

5. FR9Ford

FR9Ford
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Farmersville, Ohio
    Alrighty, thanks :)

6. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, NJ
    On one of my stoves I noticed poor draft. I checked the Class A chimney and it was a foot below the roof top (I was a newbie). I added a section of 4 feet and oh what a difference. Stove performs so much better. Recommendation (on this site) is to have the pipe 4 feet above the highest point on the roof.

7. FR9Ford

FR9Ford
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Farmersville, Ohio
    So, roxul insulation, block off plate, roxul board and chimney. Whew I gots me a project this saturday

8. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, NJ
    On Sunday you will be glad you did it.

9. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Here is the rule for chimney height relative to the roof.

10-3-2 rule.JPG

Roxul batt insulation is fine, it doesn't need to be Roxul board. Note webby's installation for reference.

10. Marshy

Marshy
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 29, 2016
    Loc:
    NY
    Just to be clear, the code is not for the chimney to be x # of feet above the highest peak of the roof. This image shows the height requirement.

This is not a draft issue. It is a heat loss issue. Imagine how warm that masonry gets after 4 hours of run time. I bet 2 hours is not enough for everything to equalize. It probably gets another 5 or 10 degrees warmer. That is a huge thermal mass sucking the heat out of the back of the stove.

Attached Files:

11. Bootstrap

Bootstrap
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Dec 4, 2013
    Loc:
    Northern CT
    It definitely doesn't look like a prefab.

12. HomeinPA

HomeinPA
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Central PA
    "Technically" it's 2' higher than anything within 10' and 3' through above the roofline on the lower side of the chimney. That's the minimum required by code. There is also the concept of making sure the chimney vents above the thermal envelope of the structure. 4-5 feet above the roof doesn't hurt though

Jan Pijpelink likes this.
  13. Bootstrap

Bootstrap
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Dec 4, 2013
    Loc:
    Northern CT
    Your house is too tight then. As mentioned, make up air is needed.

Jan Pijpelink likes this.
  14. FR9Ford

FR9Ford
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Farmersville, Ohio
    Then i think technically it's ok?

15. FR9Ford

FR9Ford
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Farmersville, Ohio
    Looks like I'm starting tonight with the storm coming

Attached Files:

p16209 and Marshy like this.
  16. FR9Ford

FR9Ford
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Farmersville, Ohio
    Sorry, i don't see anything by weeby when searching

17. Sprinter

Sprinter
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 1, 2012
    Loc:
    SW Washington
    Are we starting over? This was discussed many pages ago. At this point, though, I'm just listening.

18. FR9Ford

FR9Ford
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Farmersville, Ohio
    Lol, it's burning fine. I insulated the chit out of it, and it's kickin arse. Storm blew in last night and my tarp was in the woods, so my woods a wee wet. But it seems to be burning fine. Cruising about 75* less than normal but burn times are up, the house is actually warm. I think I'm doing good.

begreen, Marshy and Sprinter like this.
  19. ED 3000

ED 3000
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 23, 2015
    Loc:
    Southeast PA
    I just read through both of your recent threads. Now I'm exhausted. You finally got your answer, but they sure made you work for it.

The picture that you took up into your chimney tells the whole story. Heat rises, and until you stopped up that giant hole, you just had another chimney that was effectively venting the heat up into the chimney and warming the masonry. This was a simple problem with a simple solution. And, my educated guess is that it is the same problem plagues 90+% of insert installs.

Every "insert is not heating" question should be answered with the block off plate/insulation solution first.

Sprinter likes this.
  20. FR9Ford

FR9Ford
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Farmersville, Ohio
    I learned a lot though. And I had absolutely no clue what I was doing. I eventually would of got mad enough I woulda sold the stove probably lol

21. ED 3000

ED 3000
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 23, 2015
    Loc:
    Southeast PA
    Unfortunately I think you learned a bunch of bad or marginal lessons along the way. Glad you stuck with it, it can be frustrating to sift through it all, and $7k is no small investment. I'm still working through it myself, but at least now I know the problems, just up to me to get em fixed. Stay warm!

22. FR9Ford

FR9Ford
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Farmersville, Ohio
    What do you mean bad lessons?

23. Sprinter

Sprinter
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 1, 2012
    Loc:
    SW Washington
    And away we go...;lol

Just levity.

24. FR9Ford

FR9Ford
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Farmersville, Ohio
    Im way to confused now

25. Sprinter

Sprinter
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 1, 2012
    Loc:
    SW Washington
    LOL, It's become a club by now...