FR9Ford Posted By FR9Ford, Jan 6, 2018 at 11:15 PM

1. FR9Ford

FR9Ford
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Farmersville, Ohio
    Well yes that, but i should line the walls with it to the floor right? Buck closes at 430, so i sent them a fb message, hope to have an answer for min clearances tomorrow

2. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, NJ
    You can line the wall with board, but you need air flow around the stove. It needs to release its heat. If not, it will get way too hot.

3. Marshy

Marshy
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 29, 2016
    Loc:
    NY
    Bingo! No block off plate. If you are feeling foggy it would be nice to get a pic outside where the liner comes through the anchor plate he installed to transition to pipe. I can't fathom an installer thinking no block off plate would be sufficient. Makes me start to question the rest of his work.

You are looking above the insert in then fireplace alcove, up towards the chimney cap. I asked for this pic so we can understand where heat might be going. The fireplace was town down to be about 8' tall on the exterior of the home. The installer ran the flex pipe up the chimney (what's left) then installed an anchor plate of some sorts and connected the flex pipe to class A chimney pipe to the roof line.

4. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, NJ
    Agree with Marshy. A lot of the heat goes up in the smoke chamber of the fireplace. A block-off plate at the bottom of the smoke chamber solves many problems. Done it myself last year, makes a huge difference!

5. Marshy

Marshy
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 29, 2016
    Loc:
    NY
    If you climb the ladder to take a pic of the anchor plate, take your IR gun and shoot the masonry around at the top along the penetration to see how warm it is. Even if you don't go get on a ladder, just go outside with your ir gun and start taking measurements of the stone near the top and see how warm it is.

6. yooper08

yooper08
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2016
    Loc:
    SE MI
    Let us know what those exterior temps are when you get a chance before you throw in the Roxul. Would be good to know current state and what the impact is after.

Marshy likes this.
  7. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    8 pages, eesh. Can't believe it took so long to get to this point, that setup has been screaming heat sucking heat sink at me for pages now. :)

ED 3000 and Marshy like this.
  8. FR9Ford

FR9Ford
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Farmersville, Ohio
    If i may, can you recommend a board? And how to attach it to the masonry?

9. FR9Ford

FR9Ford
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Farmersville, Ohio
    Hahahaha I will get temps tonight. Its 60* but im gonna fire er up just for you guys

Marshy likes this.
  10. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, NJ
    Roxul is also available in board. You could screw that with masonry screws.

FR9Ford likes this.
  11. FR9Ford

FR9Ford
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Farmersville, Ohio
    I made a video, hoping for simple....

Doc C likes this.
  12. Marshy

Marshy
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 29, 2016
    Loc:
    NY
    How long had the stove been operating at that point?

13. HomeinPA

HomeinPA
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Central PA
    WAIT A MINUTE.... You're outside....you have a stone chase around the firebox and they converted to a class A and then went through the roof or overhang??? Did the stuff a flexible stainless liner inside the class A?? Am I missing something here??? Is that a prefab fireplace? Something is amiss here.

14. HomeinPA

HomeinPA
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Central PA
    Unless there is something I missed....again....that is NOT a code compliant chimney/fireplace/wood stove insert. Please tell me I missed another critical post that explains this.

15. FR9Ford

FR9Ford
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Farmersville, Ohio
    2 hours or so

Im not sure if the flex goes all the way through, I didn't watch the entire install. If by pre-fab, you mean it was here when I moved in yes. The class A and the stove was not.

16. FR9Ford

FR9Ford
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Farmersville, Ohio
    The guy that I hired to install it, by all means has great reviews and I found him on home adviser. I had 2 other quotes done, all saying they would do the same thing. This guy was the middle price so I went with him.

17. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, NJ
    Still a weird install. Shouldn't the top of the chimney be higher that the roof top?

18. FR9Ford

FR9Ford
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Farmersville, Ohio
    It should, but the house used to have a flat rubber roof. Prev home owner put a pitched roof on it, so the installer piped it all the way.

19. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, NJ
    Why not extend the chimney with a 4 feet section? It will improve your draft.

20. FR9Ford

FR9Ford
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Farmersville, Ohio
    The masonary part? I plan on rebuilding it up to the saufet in the spring. Its been VERY hard to find stone to match it. Question though, how does that affect draft? If the stoves only exhaust is the 8 inch pipe, and the rest of the chimney is concrete capped, plus im about to put in a block off plate, how would that matter?

21. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, NJ
    I think you should add 4-8 feet or so to the Class A chimney pipe. That way the draft improves and your stove will perform a lot better. You should be 4-5 feet above the highest part of your roof.

22. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, NJ
    If you do, you need roof braces to secure the extended chimney pipe to your roof.

23. FR9Ford

FR9Ford
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2018
    Loc:
    Farmersville, Ohio
    Ahh, that. I was thinking of doing that actually. It already has braces. Is it as easy as popping the cap off and putting another piece on?

24. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, NJ
    Exactly!

25. Jan Pijpelink

Jan Pijpelink
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2015
    Loc:
    Lindenwold, NJ
    As long as you are 4-5 feet above the highest part of the roof.