Flue Temps for Enviro Venice 1700 Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bhowe007

Hearth Supporter
May 12, 2010
Upstate NY
I'd like to figure out a way to read flue temps on my new Enviro Venice 1700. Flue temps seem to be a good way to compare different stoves and begin to analyze overfiring. If I place a thermometer on the front or top-front of the stove then I don't think I will be able to compare those readings to woodburners who are reading their exterior stove temps from the top-center of a stand alone stove.

Is there a thermometer out there that I can place on the flue pipe inside the fireplace and then run a heat resistant wire out to a display which would be visible from the front of my insert?

Attachments

• IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 519
I think Condar has one with a digital readout?

i have that exact same insert.
how do you like yours?
and bump, i too would like a thermometer there as well.

Thanks Burley.

Parot, I like to insert. I've had a couple of issues with it but overall it is very nice. I'd like it if the air control allowed a little more air into the stove on startup. I need to keep the door cracked which I don't really like to do. The ceramic baffles above the secondary seem flimsy. The lip where they connect broke on mine. A stud wasn't welded properly to the face piece that has the blower outlet holes on top so I'm sending that back for a new piece. The dealer has been great and they are sending me the new pieces so I can't really complain because they're taking care of the problem.

I'm still learning how to regulate the stove though. Knowing the flue temps will help because I'm a little paranoid about over firing. You can really get that thing roaring if you want to.

Bhowe007 said:
Thanks Burley.

Parot, I like to insert. I've had a couple of issues with it but overall it is very nice. I'd like it if the air control allowed a little more air into the stove on startup. I need to keep the door cracked which I don't really like to do. The ceramic baffles above the secondary seem flimsy. The lip where they connect broke on mine. A stud wasn't welded properly to the face piece that has the blower outlet holes on top so I'm sending that back for a new piece. The dealer has been great and they are sending me the new pieces so I can't really complain because they're taking care of the problem.

I'm still learning how to regulate the stove though. Knowing the flue temps will help because I'm a little paranoid about over firing. You can really get that thing roaring if you want to.

i also crack the door to start the fire.
it is still latched, but the handle is up and the door can open a few millimeters to allow massive airflow in.
also, if you experience rattling from the blower try tightening or loosening the bolts that hold the blower on to the frame.the front left lower side of the insert is where that housing is.

the baffles are very fragile. i took them out once. never again.
how much did you pay for the unit?

let us know how well it does heating your home this winter.
and how many SQ ft it is.

With the surround, the base shelf, the insert, and tax I paid $2300. I think it broke down to $1800 for the stove, $250 for the surround and $100 for the base shelf. Something like that.

Bhowe007 said:
With the surround, the base shelf, the insert, and tax I paid $2300. I think it broke down to $1800 for the stove, $250 for the surround and $100 for the base shelf. Something like that.

sounds about what i paid.
i had it installed though.

i found the best way to clean my insert is with a 5 gallon steel bucket.
i wait till most of the coals are burned down, but not a cold stove. this way the draft pulls up any dust and does not let it in the house.
i scoop all the ashes to one side and place the bucket flush against the other side, and scoop the ashes into the bucket. any ashes that do ploom will be pulled up the chimney. ever since i began doing it this way, my house has had a LOT less dust after cleaning the stove. hell i dont notice any dust after cleaning out my ashes now.

"Is there a thermometer out there that I can place on the flue pipe inside the fireplace and then run a heat resistant wire out to a display which would be visible from the front of my insert? "

Like this?

Here is what I put together to read flue temps, I have a freestanding stove but this should work fine on an insert. I have a thermocouple probe in the flue, and a magnetic mount thermocouple on the stove top.

The monitor/alarms will show temp on a digital readout and sound an alarm if the temp gets too hot.

Attachments

• Picture 171.jpg
    Picture 171.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 345
  • Picture 170.jpg
    Picture 170.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 364
WES999 said:
"Is there a thermometer out there that I can place on the flue pipe inside the fireplace and then run a heat resistant wire out to a display which would be visible from the front of my insert? "

Like this?

Here is what I put together to read flue temps, I have a freestanding stove but this should work fine on an insert. I have a thermocouple probe in the flue, and a magnetic mount thermocouple on the stove top.

The monitor/alarms will show temp on a digital readout and sound an alarm if the temp gets too hot.

WOW that is impressive.
any chance you can give us a rundown on the parts you bought for that?
i would like one if it was a bit more compact for the external read out / box

I'd like the parts list on that too. I'd love the piece of mind that an alarm would offer with my wife and baby in the house.

Bhowe007 said:
I'd like the parts list on that too. I'd love the piece of mind that an alarm would offer with my wife and baby in the house.

agreed. even if i have to wire it in my closet to keep it looking good, that would be a huge relief for when my wife is running the stove.
attach a loud alarm and i would have a lot less worries.

The one on the left comes from: http://www.coleparmer.com EW-93520-01

It is a nice unit, as it has a built in alarm, and only needs 120vac power and a thermocouple.
The only thing I don't like is the alarm is not as loud as I would like.

The one on the right is similar to the controller in the link from Granger ( only a lot cheaper),
It needs an additional peizo alarm, relay and pushbutton and thermocouple.

I have been searching for some less expensive componants, I have some parts on order to build another unit. I will see how that works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.