Found some wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

yinpin

Burning Hunk
Jul 25, 2016
Kingsville, MD
Got the insert installed last week and since I️ was low on seasoned wood I️ picked up a cord of oak and cherry from a reliable source. The pieces I️ have stacked to burn were measuring 15-20% so I️ should be good for this year. (Small insert)

Found some wood today as I️ have been aggressively trying to stock up for future. Going to stockpile a bunch to split in the spring or sooner.

What did I find, Cherry?. Learning as I go and trying to find a good chart, something printable to keep in the truck until I get the hang of it

b7d2a1f1538ab597d701e4c390f793a4.jpg

ac25e233f8882330a24fcf5bb376f9e1.jpg

And ?? White Oak? Maple?

bb99c4a6aad6d06afee537bbe011dbf1.jpg

be3c98f86bd52b0688e42fbbe3d3e559.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Kinda reminds me of sassafras.

Sent from my SM-S906L using Tapatalk

The first one is definitely cherry. Can't say on the second one. A more clear shot of the end grain (or better yet, some pics of fresh splits) would help on that one.

Cherry, nice big one. Probably sassafrass. Take a pick from further away.

First one is for sure cherry...have no clue on the second...get that cherry split and stacked now for next year...it seasons pretty fast...remember nothing will start to season until its split.

Thousands of log cabins would beg to differ.
Are you serious? We are talking about getting firewood seasoned as fast as possible...not building cabins.

Reactions: Jeffm1
Are you serious? We are talking about getting firewood seasoned as fast as possible...not building cabins.

It very simply explained how your statement is just a fabrication.

Looks like sass under the cherry that we have here in NJ.

Hmm so we are confirming cherry for the first. Split some today and it was great!

Sweet gum vs. Sass for the second. Going to try and split one of the hollow ones tomorrow and see how tough it is or if it smells like sassafras. Keep you posted

Reactions: bholler
They all look like maple to me

Reactions: JSeery
Tried splitting a small solid piece and it was brutal. Swallowed my wedge and gave up on the rest for now. Saving that for when I️ have enough wood to rent a splitter.

eae1194a7b202c6ad327407a2a238e64.jpg

<> . . .
Yep, sweetgum.

1st one is cherry for sure, second one I dunno, but looks like it will produce plenty of body heat while splitting by hand, ha ha!

Yeah, first was cherry. Not sure about the other. I would’ve guessed some kind of maple, but I don’t get any sassafras or sweet gum around here to compare.

Congratulations on the cherry. It’s a fast seasoner and nice burner.

On the gum, I’d recommend not trying to get your usual splits. Just get it small enough to fit through your stove door, then set it aside somewhere to dry. We used to get pieces that my mother couldn’t split with her hydraulic splitter (I don’t know the tonnage, but it’s smaller than a rental for sure). Our stove had a much bigger door than hers, and we could put one or two in and pack around them. They burned great but are a bear to split.

Another use for gum that I’ve heard is to leave a few rounds out for when a woodsplitting friend comes to visit. Show him your technique on your cherry. Then ask for his advice on improvements. Bring out your gum for him to demonstrate.

The gum is on hold for now but the cherry is splitting nicely.

Went a different way than usual to pick up my son from daycare and saw a pile of cut rounds in the brush. Haven’t noticed it but it looked like it had been there for a little while. Stopped by and they said I️ could take a truckload.

Full truck of oak rounds in decent lengths!!!
4d57e8e766b4e270f3f9f59dc0439af4.jpg

[QUOTE="Tar12, post: 2242664, member: 53997".]..remember nothing will start to season until its split.[/QUOTE]

it's a logical fallacy because of the word 'nothing'
it doesn't matter the context, it's still a fallacy

if you mean firewood doesn't season sufficiently fast if unsplit then state that.

The first two pics in the thread might be cherry but the wet sapwood makes the sapwood appear darker than the heartwood which is backwards from what one might expect.