Free is free with a price

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

awicherr

Sep 5, 2020
Ohio
My buddies dad called and said i hear you want free wood .i said well yes what is it and how much do you have. I have 4 trailers worth of red oak. Awesome ill take it! He said its a little big but i would be able to manage it to a splitter myself. Awesome i will fill your tank and buy you a can of deff for the 4 loads. I forgot he is 60 plus retired from the oilfield and cuts trees for side money‍♂️ IMG_20211031_160707.jpg

Wow!

My tree guy is younger than me and built like a linebacker. I was getting trees he was cutting in my neighbor's yard. He cut the trees to 14 - 16-inch rounds.

He motioned towards the trees and asked if I wanted him to split the lower rounds in two. I said it wasn't necessary. I should be able to move them.

Really should have walked up to the rounds and not make that decision from over a hundred feet away.

Sledge and wedge then to manageable pieces i have a loader on my tractor if i need to flip them . No hernias needed here im not 25 any more i know my limits. Second load was smaller hoping loads 3 and 4 are more manageable

best advise i got was from a old timer about 40 years ago he said (don't try to be superman you only get hurt) then i slipped a disk

Reactions: awicherr
I have a splitter with a hydraulic log lift . Still don’t like those big rounds when I get them . Even with the 4 way wedge it’s work handing and re-splitting . Funny , I never turn those size rounds down tho .

Well, it looks cut to length, so you're ahead of the game. What's the problem? ;)

I get out my saw and start to quarter it up maybe only cut 3” deep. Then just smash it with my maul. Or x27. I did a couple close to that size. If it’s straight it pretty fast just to start splitting pieces off the sides.

May the splitting force be with you.

Challenging . . . I go vertical (which I am sure would make Backwoods Savage proud if he only knew I was doing so) . . . and then split them down into smaller pieces which I can later hoist when I go back to splitting horizontally.

Can you bring your splitter there and split them into quarters so you can safely hoist them into you truck or trailer? A skid or tractor would be handy for you too.

Can you bring your splitter there and split them into quarters so you can safely hoist them into you truck or trailer? A skid or tractor would be handy for you too.
These got dumped right by my garage just have to hook the splitter to the tractor and drag it over there

Challenging . . . I go vertical (which I am sure would make Backwoods Savage proud if he only knew I was doing so) . . . and then split them down into smaller pieces which I can later hoist when I go back to splitting horizontally.
Will most definitely split them with the splitter vertical

Reactions: EbS-P