fresh ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

efoyt

Sep 18, 2008
Maine
I'm burning some fresh ash, cut down about 7 weeks ago. I use it after I already have a hot fire going. Any thoughs on burning fresh ash???

You can't beat a nice piece of ash. I burn plenty of it, stump to stove.

Ash is one of the few woods that burns ok when not seasoned - though it does not burn nearly as well as seasoned ash and will still aid in creosote formation.

How much more creosote will fresh ash add when compared to a year old maple or oak?

CTwoodburner said:
Ash is one of the few woods that burns ok when not seasoned - though it does not burn nearly as well as seasoned ash and will still aid in creosote formation.

Rex said:
How much more creosote will fresh ash add when compared to a year old maple or oak?

CTwoodburner said:
Little to none in my case, but I burn fairly hot as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.