Frozen swamp logging, pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Had to go into the swamp to get to some of the logs. Drove in & out 3 or 4 times to get a trail.
Threw some rotten logs in low spots.
Drug 7 trips, hauling with trailer now (short stuff in the piles I have to dig out).
Look like Quads, but no red gas can in the trail to cuss at. :) He has more snow too.
Trail should be better tomorrow after it set up tonight, to be zero F.
Bar jig working great, thank goodness, my glasses were half froze, one eye cuts. (all same length ;) )
More down trees out there but snow covered & can't see it, need to figure a way to get to it this spring (before the mosquitoes come out)

Attachments

• 102_4131.jpg
    102_4131.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,025
  • 102_4132.jpg
    102_4132.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 1,031
  • 102_4137.jpg
    102_4137.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,056
  • 102_4141.jpg
    102_4141.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,030
  • 102_4142.jpg
    102_4142.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,053
Hey, I got a new SQUARE gas can now! Just haven't had a chance to post any pictures of it yet. And it doesn't jump off the wagon like that dumb ROUND one.

quads said:
Hey, I got a new SQUARE gas can now! Just haven't had a chance to post any pictures of it yet. And it doesn't jump off the wagon like that dumb ROUND one.

Give it time quads, give it time. It just hasn't seen the right opportunity yet. Crafty little buggers, they are.

bogyd, nice work gettin' those logs out of there. There's that fortitude thing I was talking about.

Only trees that grow in the swamp here are maple and a few pines and hemlocks on high spots. The coniferous don't get big or last long, either.

Is that birch you're collecting ?

I have swamp on my property. Rare cold Winter that I walk out there without hip boots and a safety stick.

Cool pics! Nice to see snow snow and frozen water. It's above freezing in CT...again! Oh well, off to VT this weekend.

billb3 said:
Only trees that grow in the swamp here are maple and a few pines and hemlocks on high spots. The coniferous don't get big or last long, either.

Is that birch you're collecting ?

I strive to get the birch, but there is allot of black spruce in there too so, if it's easy, I get it too. All the logs I drug out are birch.
Spruce I use for kindling, cook-out fires, shoulder wood, I burn it during the days above 30 °F & the smaller stuff,
I use it as a platform on the ground to stack the birch on.

quads said:

Until we see it on/in the trailer & not in the trail, we're not sure it's any smarter :)
The new square one may be more intelligent than the round one & hide real good when it jumps off. :)

bogydave said:
quads said:

Until we see it on/in the trailer & not in the trail, we're not sure it's any smarter :)
The new square one may be more intelligent than the round one & hide real good when it jumps off. :)

Noticed the comment in you signature about your governor! Not only is she prettier than our governor, or ANYBODY'S governor that I've ever seen, she's prettier than 99.9% of the entire population, her politics, and everything else, aside. Where did she come from? Most women up that-a-way don't look like that!

I'll post your opinion online & let the women here call you.
What's your phone #s & email address?

Cold in the swamp today, 0 or less. Started a fire.
Hauled 3 more trailer loads & 4 more logs.
Hooked a monster today, broke my chocker, . (monster for Alaska) Just too heavy for the 4W.
Broke thru the snow into the swamp over my boots, right buy the big one, Not my best wood gett'n day.
Was going to take a picture but I left the camera on the 4W & the batts froze.
Pics before camera quit.

Attachments

• 102_4144.jpg
    102_4144.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 746
  • 102_4149.jpg
    102_4149.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 744
  • 102_4152.jpg
    102_4152.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 777
bogydave said:
Hooked a monster today, broke my chocker, . (monster for Alaska) Just too heavy for the 4W.
Broke thru the snow into the swamp over my boots, right buy the big one, Not my best wood gett'n day.
Pics before camera quit.
Yikes! Some days are like that. Makes getting home to relax by the stove feel all that much better.

quads said:
bogydave said:
Pics before camera quit.
Yikes! Some days are like that. Makes getting home to relax by the stove feel all that much better.

True, stove still chugging along, wanting feed every now & then.
What is it about wood stove heat feels warmer than,central heat. Is it that,
if you get cool, you can go stand or sit by the fire & feel toasty & if your too warm you can find a cool place?

Was still a good day regardless of the issues, gave me more to write about & figure out how to overcome. "Life"

Sun been up about an hour, chill be out of the air soon, gotta go get the big log & a few others then cut, split & stack.
Gonna be another "good day".

bogydave said:
quads said:
bogydave said:
Pics before camera quit.

True, stove still chugging along, wanting feed every now & then.
What is it about wood stove heat feels warmer than,central heat. Is it that,
if you get cool, you can go stand or sit by the fire & feel toasty & if your too warm you can find a cool place?

Was still a good day regardless of the issues, gave me more to write about & figure out how to overcome. "Life"

Sun been up about an hour, chill be out of the air soon, gotta go get the big log & a few others then cut, split & stack.
Gonna be another "good day".

bogydave,
Any day i wake up I think is a good day. Means I can go cut some more firewood, then come in the nice warm house.
Life is good.

Had a better day today. Got 2 big ones :)
Only broke thru 3 times but not over my boots :)
Don't step here!

Attachments

• 102_4159.jpg
    102_4159.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 610
  • 102_4161.jpg
    102_4161.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 591
  • 102_4162.jpg
    102_4162.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 600
  • 102_4167.jpg
    102_4167.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 593
Glad you had a better day this time! Brr, sure looks cold where you broke through, if your boots fill with that icy swamp water.

Got a few more logs today. I left the tops in case the moose comes back.

Attachments

• 100_4250.jpg
    100_4250.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 456
  • 100_4252.jpg
    100_4252.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 455
  • 100_4256.jpg
    100_4256.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 472
Cool pic's

You are a very busy wood cuttin' man Dave!

quads said:
You are a very busy wood cuttin' man Dave!

Gotta be doing something, helps prevent "cabin fever".
Getting wood at least gives me $ back that the Gov. don't tax (yet)

Swamp logging done. Row 6 almost full.
Cleaned up area.
Is'nt that a nice looking pile of wood? 6 rows deep.
Feels good.

Attachments

• 100_4263.jpg
    100_4263.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 190
  • 100_4268.jpg
    100_4268.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 172
  • 100_4269.jpg
    100_4269.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 159
I like working on firewood in the Winter.
It's one thing you can do that keeps ya active enough that you don't feel the cold. (As long as ya don't stop)
Shame the days are so short.

Status
Not open for further replies.