Trip 4, not as good as it should have been, I get the DA award

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
amateur cutter said:
Lookin good Dave!!! BTW RE: the earlier post about mistakes & hair, I'm bald as a cue ball soooooo........ A C

Thanks
Like every "wives tale" there are always exceptions!

wkpoor said:
hahha is that what you would call a real rich mix!
My neighbor did that the other day but realized it before he pulled the rope. So it was a quick fix. I'm guessing all the pulling drew enough oil into the line or carb to prevent a start.

I rinsed the tank with gas, then emptied, then new gas. Couldn't get it stared that night but the next morning it fired right up. I think the gas had time to mix with & dilute the oil in the carb.
Saying it ran a little "smokey" for a while is an under statement. It ran good when out cutting.
I need to take it bake to the dealer to get the "after break in" tune up. I've noticed it is not a strong as the old H - 61 saw. But having a saw that starts easy, idles, has a working chain brake, choke & throttle is nice. Less vibration & better grip also. I guess upgrading every 25 - 30 years is OK, I got my money's worth out of the old saw, & a have a reasonably good back up saw. Did't take it on the trip I oiled it up, another mistake I'll try to not make again. :) the old 1975, 14" Craftsman saved the day. Gonna get a new chain for it.

Anyone ever put the chain on the wrong way? It happened about the second or third time I took a chain off. I felt like a DA!

huskers said:
Anyone ever put the chain on the wrong way? It happened about the second or third time I took a chain off. I felt like a DA!

+1
more times than I'm willing to admit,
an easy fix though, get a new chain, the old was is dull. :)

I've never mixed up gas/oil yet...

When I was out bucking a tree on someone elses property after the power company left it, I did however forget to screw on the gas cap. I picked up the saw, put it between my legs, and went to start it... and was like why on earth is my crotch all wet? Then I realized what I had done, then looked around to see if anyone in the residential community saw the stupid deed. It was about 90 degrees out, so I just put the saw back down and loaded up the truck since I didn't want to start my crotch on fire. I was also hoping nobody was going to come by me and think I peed myself!
When I was driving away, I thought that I'd have people think that I peed myself rather then forgot to tighten the gas cap! lol.

Random thoughts . . .

Gas and oil mix up . . . I did that once . . . D'oh . . . fortunately I had a chainsaw tech with me who took the saw before I even started it and rinsed it out with gas . . . no problems.

Hmmm . . . look at the positive side . . . a bit smoky . . . guess that takes care of the mosquitoes, right? ;) :)

Chain on the wrong way? Check . . . did that once as well.

It could always be worse . . . you could have had your foster son dump a can of bondo and hardener into the fuel tank . . . didn't happen to me . . . happened to my father . . . had to replace the fuel tank on that one.

Don't hold back on this stuff.

The beautiful thing about this site is we ALL learn - even from others Oops!

I haven't made this mistake yet. I also haven't put a chain on backwards, though I fix a buddies saw that did.

I've learned to be careful to not get pinched retrieving a wedge when the round is not fully busted. I've learned to be mindful of burrs flying off your badly damaged wedge head. I respect the business end of my saw and splitter, as a result of lessons I've learned here.

You guys don't silence the education!

basswidow said:

I haven't made this mistake yet. I also haven't put a chain on backwards, though I fix a buddies saw that did.

I've learned to be careful to not get pinched retrieving a wedge when the round is not fully busted. I've learned to be mindful of burrs flying off your badly damaged wedge head. I respect the business end of my saw and splitter, as a result of lessons I've learned here.

+1 on all of the above...another bone head thing I did once--was taking a break, rested my foot on a round which was propped vertical and set the saw (idling)next to my foot. Was looking off into the distance when I felt a warmth on my leg and then ouch! The saw had jiggled and rotated around as it was idling and the muffler end was resting on my leg. Got a slight burn on my leg through my jeans. :red:

basswidow said:

i was splitting some big rounds about 25 years ago....warm day, no shirt, 6 pound maul and a wedge, and a few minutes later i thought 'damn i'm dripping sweat!' but it was blood from a burr that was stuck in my chest.

now...i ALWAYS wear safety glasses when employing metal-on-metal. well, not when i'm swinging a hammer tho. but i'm trying to get into the habit for that too. i'm rather fond of my vision, and all the beauty that i see every day. ain't gonna risk it for a chunk of metal.

OT

Though I've never made THAT particular mistake, I've made my share.

Now. . .what would have been funny . . . working out there with you SIL and you are so focused on getting as much wood B4 dark that. . . . you forget it's your SIL with you, not your wife!!!

{I'm thinking like that movie where the actress come into the kitchen and grabs the unsuspecting actor where it gets his attention from behind. . . only to realize when he turns around it's not whom she thought}

I guess someone else would have to post the story for you :p

Status
Not open for further replies.