Fuel Oil Usage - Spreadsheet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortstuff

Feeling the Heat
Jun 5, 2008
Southeastern MA
I dug out all my fuel oil receipts since January of '02 and we paid $0.94 per gallon for #2 fuel oil back then. I made up a detailed spreadsheet to see all the numbers and below is only an overview of our usage/costs to date.

Tomorrow is my big day. I'll be purchasing my Quadra-Fire Castile (free-standing) with all the venting/accessories I need. I'll be using this stove to heat right at 40% (820 sq.ft. out of 2150 sq.ft) of our floor plan which should save us a few dollars on the oil bill. Fuel oil in my area is right at $4.709 per gallon today and who knows where it will be in September, October.

I can only guess that by using the pellet stove to heat 40% of my house, that it should save me approximately 40% in fuel oil costs, less the cost of 3-tons of pellets for $792.00 delivered. I'm also only guessing that 3-tons of pellets should last me through next winter. Our house is very well insulated (all exterior walls 2"x6" - R19) good Anderson windows and doors and fairly tight.

I'll pick up the stove tomorrow, but won't be installing it for some time.

Steve

Attachments

• FuelNumbers1.jpg
    FuelNumbers1.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,086
Your total cost and total gallons figures are the same. How many gallons do you typically use to heat your house? Ours i of comparable size and we are going to buy the QuadraFire Mt Vernon insert. This past year we went through just over 1000 gallons of oil which also covers hot water for us. We were quoted $.59 for oil pre-buy this year which is ridiculous.

Sorry, I corrected my speadsheet.

I was considering purchasing the exact same stove - the Mt. Vernon - and locate it centrally in our house, but the somewhat closed floor plan prevented us from doing so. If all goes well this winter (or if I hit the lottery), I'll be adding a second Castile stove at the other end of our house.

You mentioned a quote of $.59 for oil, what exactly is it per gallon? We have locked-in at what they call a CAP price each of the past 3 years $1.749, $2.449 and now $3.229 in the fall of last year. My guess is that it's going to be well over $5.00 per gallon come CAP time this November.

It's such a good feeling to know that I'll have all the heat I need, bought and paid for before winter even gets here.

Best of luck in your endeavor!

Steve

timss13 said:
We were quoted $.59 for oil pre-buy this year which is ridiculous.

That is rediculous, buy as much as you can at that price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Buy tankers, fill them with $.59 oil and park them off the coast if you must!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shortstuff said:
I'll be using this stove to heat right at 40% (820 sq.ft. out of 2150 sq.ft) of our floor plan which should save us a few dollars on the oil bill.

I can only guess that by using the pellet stove to heat 40% of my house, that it should save me approximately 40% in fuel oil costs, less the cost of 3-tons of pellets for $792.00 delivered.

Steve
Remember, some of that heat will spill over to other areas of the house so you may use more or less pellets than you think based on how the heat migrates from one area to another. Otherwise, I'd say 3 tons to heat 820 sq. ft. should be plenty.

Scot

Wet1 said:
timss13 said:

That is rediculous, buy as much as you can at that price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Buy tankers, fill them with $.59 oil and park them off the coast if you must!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What an idea, Hey didn't I see something like that in "Waterworld:? No wait it was 1974. My father saw them on his way to Florida. Of course there was a real shortage then and those tankers were sitting there empty they said. Kind of hard to fool folks who live on the river though. We can tell if they are full or not just like magic. Oh well, different time different scam........................................

Driz said:
Wet1 said:
timss13 said:

What an idea, Hey didn't I see something like that in "Waterworld:? No wait it was 1974. My father saw them on his way to Florida. Of course there was a real shortage then and those tankers were sitting there empty they said. Kind of hard to fool folks who live on the river though. We can tell if they are full or not just like magic. Oh well, different time different scam........................................
Here is the latest just posted on www.pellets2u.com

Subject: Please alert your customers to place their fuel orders right away.

Dear PelletSales.com Dealer Affiliate,

We wanted to write to let you know that we are experiencing an unprecedented surge in demand for our services.

In order to provide our affiliated retailers with the highest possible level of service during this period, we are restricting access to portions of our site to affiliates. Even so, we can not guarantee to meet every request for product or delivery services. Accordingly, we are encouraging our affiliates to notify their customers right away that they should log onto our site and secure their fuel needs for the upcoming season.

Because we are restricting access, your customers will need to use the affiliate code on the back of the Green Dealer Affiliate Card when visiting our site or contacting our customer service personnel. Please be sure to let them know to use that affiliate code when requesting a quote on our site. Should you need more cards please contact our office.

We look forward to continuing to serve you and your customers, and appreciate your cooperation in communicating this message to your customers.

Regards,

Darlene Mangan

PelletSales.Com

AmericanBiomass.Net

I got mine!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.