Galaxy Supreme Rebuild

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TheCanuck

Sep 6, 2022
Alberta
I bought a Galaxy Supreme 5yrs ago. I specifically told my dealer that I use wood as my primary heat when possible. He sold this Fireplace to me. I recognize I should have done better Homework. Well anyways, I am looking at rebuilding the inside. I figure on getting some steel and welding a new firebox then lining it with firebrick. I am thinking of building the sides from 1/4 steel, haven't been able to get a close look at the top but hoping to be able to use 3/8' steel then attaching the original bottom to the new steel.
Has anyone done this before? Any tips or concerns i should worry about. The only thing I am concerned about is being sure to leave enough airspace around the box and outer shell.
Also, I would love to change the fan position. I have gone through 3 fans on this "blink'n" fireplace. Any thoughts? What else can be done to improve the efficiency? It heats great but not the quality that I was used to with my Prev fireplace. In fact, I am going to look into how I can get the heat from the unit and get it to the air intake on my furnace which is in the basement underneath it.