Garden Thread 2023!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
That's looking good. It's going to be a great space and garden asset.
We're really looking forward to it, especially during the winter.

Well, we spent 4.5 hours on the greenhouse today. We got the back wall erected and the first two polycarbonate side panels up. Doesn't sound like much, but it was not only a balancing act that could have easily used 3-4 people (not 2), there are many "connectors" in the back wall, and as always with most foreign products (Germany on this one), the directions are not straight forward and encompassing! :doh:

004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg

I think we will be able to move a bit faster now that we have a better idea of this greenhouse. I did watch the YouTube videos several times, and made notes in the manual, but nothing can compare to "experience"...like already having put one of these together. :lol:

I am hoping for 2 more days, about 3-4 hours each day.

Reactions: EbS-P and clancey
Your making just wonderful progress and its going to be beautiful and convenient as well--close to the house. Just take your time and keep plugging...good job...clancey

Reactions: Dan Freeman
Hey everybody---They have robots that build houses and maybe in the future you will be able to rent a robot or two to help you build or cut dead trees down or something.. Just a thought and it would be nice if they put clothing on them--lol . They need to take breaks every five hours to recharge up their abilities. They are kind of "skinny Looking"-lol..Have a nice day.. clancey

• Haha
As long as they don't take over the world and do us in. But that's another discussion for another forum.

We got 4 more polycarbonate panels in today. Two full ones, two shorter ones that will have roof windows inserted. We have the greenhouse 1/2 finished now without the insertion of the windows (already built) and the doors which will be last.

I'm wondering which bill will be higher? The one for the greenhouse, foundation and accessories or the one for Orthopedic visits, PT, and cortisone shots I'll need after we finish building it. :lol:

Today's pics:

007.jpg008.jpg009.jpg

Reactions: clancey
Yea its the hidden control that no one discusses and I remember when I was young I never paid attention to the news and that's what our young ones are doing and know nothing about what could be coming--it's such a sorry state of affairs but its their world and they will reap what they sow through ignorance..Your green house is coming along and maybe I can rent one of those robots to put a garden in--lol....I am just planning on just one tomato this year just to sit outside and watch it grow unless I get more energy or something...Yours is looking good and everyone"s veg gardens are really looking healthy and well...clancey

Love to see what is happening at your places, everyone.

We had a few deliveries to make this morning. This afternoon we decided to not work on the greenhouse. Instead, we got the grass cut down in the field and some more wood split for next season.

FINALLY, I put "the kids" out on the front porch in the shade for a few hours. Their first "hardening off" outing.

042-May_11.jpg

Don't know if I posted this or not yesterday. GH is half finished.

011.jpg

Our babies are outside hardening off now too. We have gone from a cold spring to a dry and hot spell for the next 10 days according to the forecast.

@Dan Freeman, your greenhouse is looking very nice. Keep up the good work, but pace yourself.

I had to remind myself that it’s perfectly reasonable to be hardening off vegetables in the mid May in Pennsylvania and Washington State. It just took me by surprise when I first read the comments about the “babies” spending time outside because my plants have been out for so long now.

This morning I harvested a handful of bush beans and my first Shishito peppers. My yardlong beans put on their first flowers, and my cucumbers are climbing and blooming. I spread about fifty gallons of compost from one of our tumblers around many of my larger plants, and I planted a couple of dozen sweet potato starts that had actually grown as volunteers.

CED137D7-7DAA-4AB7-B09C-4D23C416F656.jpeg3581A9EE-EAC1-4174-9923-876AC059C713.jpeg5EC3BCA9-8B73-48EB-8856-B7B0D87317A3.jpeg7D91C259-6B24-42C2-9553-511AB8BB6FA1.jpeg053BA513-C002-4CEE-B43F-B53342ABCBAE.jpeg2C2E9BE7-D156-471A-B07C-E04C22FB69F2.jpeg

Our forecast is for a weekend full of storms, drenching rains and flooding, high winds, and possible hail. I wanted to get some garden work in, especially the compost, ahead of that. I also took lots of pictures just in case we have damaging weather. We really need the rain, but I hope there won’t be too much destruction.

Broccoli, Pumpkins with a little ginger in the middle, beets
B2979CCE-2FE7-4340-BAA3-04310320F4DE.jpegFB00136E-93C8-4BB1-A599-7B33D3CAE191.jpeg9F25DB68-8598-499E-8BDD-C61DE21ABC59.jpeg

Rhubarb and blueberries
07235C91-FD6C-4F90-9D1B-4C98C8EDA34C.jpegC290AE47-76C7-4B14-8570-3A7962291F00.jpeg
Apples, our herb corner, and some wildflowers I planted last fall.
802F1166-4FEC-4CD4-931A-6B19565F7206.jpeg17A1DE7B-706F-4363-A147-30A7732000A6.jpeg6A228104-1352-45F0-AA20-5841944232A7.jpeg

WOW! Looking real good, DG.

Today, we took a day away from the GH to cut the grass in the field around the FG and I cleaned the waterfall and pumps in the FG pond. Pond seems not only greenish, but slimy. I don't like that! But they say it takes a year or two to develop all of the plants so they can clean the water. I am impatient. We do have a family of frogs that have already established themselves, and tons of tadpoles. I did add two more clumps of miniature cattails and bamboo. I was happy to see that the cattail rhizomes I planted 3 weeks ago are showing green growth.

I have to keep telling myself to be patient.

We're coming out of a cold, damp spring. Crops are about 2-3 weeks behind this year. Then, yesterday someone flipped the switch. There is nothing but sunshine predicted for the next 10 days. Temps in Seattle are pushing 80+. Maybe 90 by Sunday. The poor plants are getting weather whiplash but at least the soil is finally warming up.

You're way ahead of us DG and as usual, your garden looks great. Our beans aren't even in the ground yet and our peas are only 12-18" high. With this weather, I will be planting corn and beans soon, but that has to be balanced with getting all the new beds ready and filled.
We have about four 2" long cukes in the greenhouse and the plant is growing fast. Lots of flowers on it. Meanwhile, a Marketmore cuke outside is about 18" tall and growing a lot slower. Warmer nights will help it a lot.

Everybody is sure working hard and the plants are sure looking beautiful and I wonder what that one tiny hole on DG"s picture is about---thinking caterpillar or something?..Wonderful pictures. clancey

Today is tomato planting day. I'll get some peppers in the ground too. The new asparagus bed is in and planted, only 6 more to go.

IMG_3474.jpg

Yes, tomato plants can get 5+ ft tall. When filled with tomatoes, they are very heavy too. Good support is essential.

Let's see...

Got the old, raised pond filter, plants and plant stands cleaned this weekend. I plan to dismantle this pond at the end of this summer season, sand down the wood finish that has been exposed to the elements for 7 years, apply a new stain finish, and rebuild next Spring. I have already taken a full pot of plants from this pond, seperated them, and placed them in the new FF pond.

044-May_14.jpg

In the meantime, it was too breezy today to work on the greenhouse, especially the last few 12.25 x 3.25 16mm triple wall polycarbonate pieces. The slightest breeze makes them become wind sails!

Here's a great view off the left side of our back deck.

045-May_14.jpg

We got an earlier start this morning.

We put up 2 more sections of the GH. We also got 2 more lateral bars attached for wind strength. All 4 roof windows now have automatic openers attached, and each roof window has to cables attached so in case of high winds, the opener does not get strained, and the window does not get damaged.

014.jpg015.jpg016.jpg017.jpg018.jpg

We'll start working on the front wall, tomorrow.

Well today turned into a productive hustle. The new beds are now filled and amended. Tomatoes and peppers went into the ground this morning along with a couple eggplants. The potatoes are bursting out and I have the corn seed soaking for planting soon. Summer is here all of sudden and it's starting to look like a garden again.

70589194903__20769CD3-406A-4DD9-9299-BA2288EC44F4.jpg
The green bushy plant in front of the tomatoes is a tarragon plant that exploding in size. We have already done a couple of harvests from it.
IMG_3479.jpg
Lettuce harvesting is in full swing. This is one of 3 beds. The garlic is getting quite tall.
IMG_3480.jpgIMG_3481.jpg

Your garden area bg is beautiful. A lot of work went into that endeavor. Now free what is the purpose of that wooden trellis looking thing with a path going through it to the backdoor of the greenhouse or maybe front door as far as I can tell--post 365 I think.. If I was going to make a trellis doorway I would make it at least 36 inches wide across or more so that larger equipment and grass cutting becomes more easy for you in the future...Just a thought here and you are making progress wind and all--its beautiful...clancey

Your garden area bg is beautiful. A lot of work went into that endeavor. Now free what is the purpose of that wooden trellis looking thing with a path going through it to the backdoor of the greenhouse or maybe front door as far as I can tell--post 365 I think.. If I was going to make a trellis doorway I would make it at least 36 inches wide across or more so that larger equipment and grass cutting becomes more easy for you in the future...Just a thought here and you are making progress wind and all--its beautiful...clancey
No reason for the trellis. Just placed at the end of that walkway. It used to be used for an entrance to a flower area that I changed and just stuck it where you see it now.

Here was the garden it used to be the entrance for.

033-Aug_09.jpg

Thanks. The white frames are tomato cages. The big one a the end is for cherry tomatoes (sweet million and sungold). By the end of the season the tomato plants will be spilling over the top of it. The one straddling the beds is for cucumbers and squash. Post 365 is Dan's posting. We do have a clematis trellis made of wood between the house and the garden. It's 6 foot wide so that I can easily drive the lawn tractor through it.

Well today turned into a productive hustle. The new beds are now filled and amended. Tomatoes and peppers went into the ground this morning along with a couple eggplants. The potatoes are bursting out and I have the corn seed soaking for planting soon. Summer is here all of sudden and it's starting to look like a garden again.

View attachment 312759
The green bushy plant in front of the tomatoes is a tarragon plant that exploding in size. We have already done a couple of harvests from it.
View attachment 312760
Lettuce harvesting is in full swing. This is one of 3 beds. The garlic is getting quite tall.
View attachment 312761View attachment 312762
I’m definitely envious of your garden. How big is your garden area? How big is your lot?

I’m definitely envious of your garden. How big is your garden area? How big is your lot?
It's a continual work in progress. This didn't happen overnight. The main garden is now about 60 ft square. A lot of the area is wide rows so that our garden cart or wheelbarrow is easy to run between the rows. The ends are wide enough for the lawn tractor to pass through.

Here's what the weed and grass-choked bank looked like before the project started.IMG_3362.jpg
And after:

filled in new garden.jpg IMG_3482.jpg

It's a continual work in progress. This didn't happen overnight. The main garden is now about 60 ft square. A lot of the area is wide rows so that our garden cart or wheelbarrow is easy to run between the rows. The ends are wide enough for the lawn tractor to pass through.

Here's what the weed and grass-choked bank looked like before the project started.View attachment 312771
And after:

View attachment 312772 View attachment 312773
Looks better with each picture, begreen. You have done tremendous work. Enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Reactions: begreen and clancey
Thanks. It's nice to be moving on to the growing phase now. There is some cleanup and a couple of details to finish, but at least now the beds can be planted.