Gasket length

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jfree

Dec 17, 2019
Westchester County, NY
Have a Clydesdale 8491 that needs the door gasket gasket replaced. Notice that the Clydesdale gasket kit comes with a 10.5' 1/2" rope. Kit is pricey though. Will a Rutland 7' rope be long enough? Rough measure of the door/ gasket area seems to be about 78".

Have a Clydesdale 8491 that needs the door gasket gasket replaced. Notice that the Clydesdale gasket kit comes with a 10.5' 1/2" rope. Kit is pricey though. Will a Rutland 7' rope be long enough? Rough measure of the door/ gasket area seems to be about 78".
It will probably be enough but is it the right density

Not sure on the density part. The stove says low-density gasket. Didn’t see anything mentioned about the density of the Rutland gasket. Is there any easy way to tell? And how do different densities affect things?

Not sure on the density part. The stove says low-density gasket. Didn’t see anything mentioned about the density of the Rutland gasket. Is there any easy way to tell? And how do different densities affect things?
If it's to dense your door won't shut. Not dense enough it won't seal properly

I would classify the Rutland gasket as low density. It's a simple braided weave. Some stoves like Lopi, Hearthstone, Pacific Energy use a more complex rope gasket that is not available except as OEM. They are more like a rope within a rope with a different density on the outer weave than in the core.
After a couple tries with a Rutland (too soft) and then a Meeco Gold (much too firm) rope gasket, both which performed poorly, I ended up going back to the OEM rope gasket from PE. The Rutland gasket worked better, but leaked too much air to the fire in spots. The PE gasket was a Goldilocks, just-right fit and sealed perfectly.

I would classify the Rutland gasket as low density. It's a simple braided weave. Some stoves like Lopi, Hearthstone, Pacific Energy use a more complex rope gasket that is not available except as OEM. They are more like a rope within a rope with a different density on the outer weave than in the core.
They are available after market. We carry atleast 3 different types of each common size gasket on the truck. We can usually match things up.

Problem is finding them. I did find some white rope gasket that looked close and very similar to Lopi stove door gasket, but no one had it in the right size. After several store I gave up. The biggest disappointment was from the Seattle PE dealer that sold me the Meeco gasket. That was flat out dangerous. It was so firm that it could not make a proper seal. It is the closest I have been to a runaway fire.

Reactions: bholler
Thanks everyone. I bought some gasket from the store where we bought the insert. They only had medium density gasket but said it should work.

So put it in today. It’s tight but figure that’s good as I know they tend to flatten out. Did dollar bill test. Cant budge dollar on latch, hinge and bottom. Along top can pull it out with some resistance. Since 3 sides are very tight does this suggest perhaps door is not fully aligned properly or is it normal for top to be less tight or perhaps I pushed gasket in too much?