General thoughts on wood/seasoning/people's wood IQ

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sam, with what you describe, I highly suggest you check that chimney often; like at least monthly. Even if you have good dry wood, burning like that is not good. You need to determine why the stove is starved for air. Perhaps you need to install an OAK. Also, the stove can be starved if someone is running a clothes dryer or exhaust fans. Something in that house is not allowing air to get in or else you have a blockage somewhere. Also, you may not want to close that air all the way and you need to experiment with that. Perhaps 20-25% open rather than closed.

My impression was that the fireplace was supposed to burn like this so that it lasted longer. And, to be clear, there is a separate intake coming from outside going right to the firebox. The professional who installed it has said he will come over some time and go over things with me; I'll be interested to hear what he says.

What is an "OAK" please?

And I do look forward to experimenting with it once it gets a little colder.

Interestingly due to work schedule I had a 2 hour lunch today so I got most of my big rounds split over lunch. How's that for soon, snowleopard?

Thanks again everyone for all the help,

Sam

Hi Sam, OAK = Outside air kit, which it sounds like you have. I'm with Dennis, check with the installer when the stove is burning, & check the chimney often till you get a "feel" for things. Then sit back & enjoy a warm home. A C

I've burned cotton wood, but it is my last choice. But it's BTUs & I have some several years old if ever needed.

Nice pics of your firewood. Look great all stacked up.
I measure, mainly because my stove likes the 17" split length loading N/S. (& I'm not very good at getting them all close to the same length) Much longer & they are too long for the bottom row.

A CO detector, which I bet you have, is a must for wood burners. IMO. (with new batteries annually :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.