Genevas, Timber Heat, O'malleys or Stove Chow????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CD2011

Aug 28, 2011
Massachusetts
Oh yeah, we waited too long to put in an order at a local place, so today we hunted for our first ton of pellets!

Choices are:

Stove Chow from Home Depot
O'Malley's from TSC
TSC brand from TSC
Timber Heat from Lowes
Geneva from a local stone and gravel place

Do you love any of these? Absolutely hate any of these? Think any of them are just ok?

Thanks,
Cindy

Which local pellet place? Pellets direct? If you want high end you could go with royal fireside they are carrying okanagan gold spruce pointe and la cretes all top notch. Or go with the pinnacle okanagan douglas fir.

Hated Omallys. Be very cautious with the TSC brand pellets as these can be your worst nightmare. If there's a flag on the bag...run!

Reactions: Pellet-King
Oh yeah, we waited too long to put in an order at a local place, so today we hunted for our first ton of pellets!

Choices are:

Stove Chow from Home Depot
O'Malley's from TSC
TSC brand from TSC
Timber Heat from Lowes
Geneva from a local stone and gravel place

Do you love any of these? Absolutely hate any of these? Think any of them are just ok?

Thanks,
Cindy
Stove Chows get a bad Rap from some because they are sold at HD. Actually, they are HD's most popular seller.. Some call them Shoulder pellets [to be used when it;s not bitter cold yet] But during last years Polar Vortex, they kept us plenty warm using a Harman at half throttle.
[They are Hardwoods bagged and distributed by Energex American.] Very hot but get a lot of Ash which if u vacuum your stove regularly, no biggie.
Very good pellets IF u want to stay under the 250.00 ton price. Last year, 229.00. this year, 239.00
. Posters will chime in on the other pellets as I can only speak for Chows and Energex hardwoods.don't see much difference in either.
You will find on this board everyone has the're favorites which run from A-Z..
Don't forget that the Brand/make Stove plays as much or more of a part than the pellets which is why you will read that a certain brand is Crap["clogged up my stove"] while others will Swear by the same pellets." Best pellets I ever burned"...

Last edited:
Thanks for your responses...

We live in north central Mass. and last year ordered from Hubbard's Farm... as I said, we have waited too long to put in an order (lesson learned!!!!) and they have no pellets at the moment, but we can order some and get delivery in November. So we are looking for something to get us started for the winter. (I hate being cold and we have had a few days of cold weather recently so we have already run the stove this year!!)

Royal Fireside is a good distance away from us, so not really an option at this point, but thanks for the suggestion.
And the O'Malleys did have a flag on the bag, we will seriously consider your advice.

Thanks again,
Cindy

We live in north central Mass. and last year ordered from Hubbard's Farm... as I said, we have waited too long to put in an order (lesson learned!!!!) and they have no pellets at the moment, but we can order some and get delivery in November. So we are looking for something to get us started for the winter. (I hate being cold and we have had a few days of cold weather recently so we have already run the stove this year!!)

Royal Fireside is a good distance away from us, so not really an option at this point, but thanks for the suggestion.
And the O'Malleys did have a flag on the bag, we will seriously consider your advice.

Thanks again,
Cindy
Nothing wrong with these..

Attachments

• Bag_AmericanPremium.png
    Bag_AmericanPremium.png
    40.9 KB · Views: 180
Reactions: CD2011

Thanks again,
Cindy

No the one with the flag from TSC is the one to avoid.

Reactions: CD2011
I went through 3 tons of Geneva last year. I'd call them a middle of the road pellet. Decent heat, moderate ash. I'd like something hotter in the heart of winter, but would not hesitate to grab them again for the shoulder season.

I have burned Geneva as well and still do. In my experience they throw heat, are ashy and you may have to scrape the burn pot daily but your P43 will digest them just fine.

Go fer the Chow's, solid pellet, Timber Heat's not bad either, there rebagged Dry Creek

upload_2014-10-5_10-57-15.png

chow or timer are both are alright pellets

In order, what I would buy...

1) Stove chow
2) Geneva's
3) TSC (as long as they're MWP's)
4) Timber heat
5) Omalleys

I would just say that while the Stove Chows are hot, I thought they had a pretty good amount of ash. Heavy stuff that clings onto the inside of the stove.

I liked their heat, but I tend to buy for heat AND low ash. I really want to keep my system clean and low maintenance. We tend to burn up to 4 tons a season, so my hope is to keep the chimney clean outs to a minimum.

Timber Heat is re-bagged Dry Creek.

I would just say that while the Stove Chows are hot, I thought they had a pretty good amount of ash. Heavy stuff that clings onto the inside of the stove.

I liked their heat, but I tend to buy for heat AND low ash. I really want to keep my system clean and low maintenance. We tend to burn up to 4 tons a season, so my hope is to keep the chimney clean outs to a minimum.
yes.. they can be Ashy...

Status
Not open for further replies.