Getting a load of this from a contractor.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
They're working on a river on order from DNR, removing beaver dams flooding the area, many of these will be removed, 12 to 18 inch trees, I'm getting one load.
Hint it burns at about 32,000,000 btu's per cord.

osage.jpeg osage1.jpeg osage2.jpeg

At first I was thinking Black Locust -- but 32 btu's is more like Osage Orange . What ever it is -- time for the Lucky Dog pic.

Attachments

• lucky_dog.png
    lucky_dog.png
    121.4 KB · Views: 156
I have heard of this wood. We don't have it around here. Is it hard to split with a maul? I'd love to get my hands on a truck load of that stuff.

I have heard of this wood. We don't have it around here. Is it hard to split with a maul? I'd love to get my hands on a truck load of that stuff.
It won't split with a maul, I've split plenty but with a 34 ton Brave and 9 hp Honda. Now some men might try but will soon see the folly of their ways.

some men might try but will soon see the folly of their
Smart -- work smart not hard. Your hands are one of your most valuable tools , protect them. Folks avoid carpal tunnel and other injuries to your body.

Smart -- work smart not hard. Your hands are one of your most valuable tools , protect them. Folks avoid carpal tunnel and other injuries to your body.
Truer words were never spoken,let tools and machines do the bull work.

It won't split with a maul, I've split plenty but with a 34 ton Brave and 9 hp Honda. Now some men might try but will soon see the folly of their ways.
Don't tell my mauls that. I've been splitting it sense I was in grade school and I am 70 now. Splits about like mulberry.

Reactions: JimBear
+1 Osage - bark, habit of crown, orange roots and check leaves in last pic from OP.
Great score.
A bit stringy, but clear sections split easily enough.
Wear puncture resistant gloves when working with it. Its splinters are like needles.

Very nice score that stuff will last forever, and burn very hot, but you already know that.