Getting rid of wood questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BLW500

Nov 22, 2017
Minnesota
So I just had a friend of mine drop 5 mediumish sized Ash trees in my backyard and I cut all limbs/branches off. Do you think anyone would actually come and take this wood if I were to throw it up on craigslist as free, or do I just bite the bullet and pay a company to come and haul it away?

Are you talking the logs or the brush? Logs should be easy to get rid of....

If you cut it into 16" lengths, I've found that easy to give away on Craigslist. If it's long logs, it depends how people around you have trucks and chainsaws.

I like when people leave it in log form and let me cut on site to my own length. It seems like too many times rounds are cut to either 12" or 24"

Reactions: KC Matt
Wood will always go as long as its realistic, I have seen some ads about a tree that was cut down but access to get the wood was horrible.
I answered a ad from here last spring, a gentlemen was moving and giving away almost everything, it was back right up to the pile and load up, man was it great, I even got about a cord and a half of split / seasoned 2 year oak and locust out of that deal.
Now I prob wouldn't have taken that offer if the pile was located at a bottom of a hill with wheelbarrow access only, because that's a pita.

Reactions: KC Matt
Wood will always go as long as its realistic, I have seen some ads about a tree that was cut down but access to get the wood was horrible.

Heh. there's a guy near me who has been trying to get rid of about 10 cords worth of oak for a couple of years. It will probably rot before he moves it. It's in logs, and it's down a fairly steep slope. The closest you can get a vehicle is about 60 feet, and the footing is treacherous. The logs are dirty, too. Dumped there by a skid loader, I imagine. Cutting accessibility varies between difficult and dangerous. I got one load and said forget it. There's too much easy wood out there to risk injury or even work that hard.

If I could winch the logs up to a more accessible location I'd consider it, but really, there's easier pickins.

The logs and it's already been claimed. A guy is coming on friday to grab the trees.
I scored over 5 cord of Ash last year from Craigslist....if its easy I grab it...