Getting wood from county/town & utility etc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah - walk up to them swinging a case of beer in front of their nose and watch their eyes get big. Then pop the question.;lol

Never had a wood guy to deal with, but know a couple. They like beer. Volume over quality.
I can understand that :)

I have a landscaper who also does tree removal and he said he pays for a log truck.
Still working on a way that hell give me the good trees.
Save him $ and i'm set.
Don't want to approach him until i get my sh*t in order.
Still working on my 1st load i got a few weeks ago..

Yeah - walk up to them swinging a case of beer in front of their nose and watch their eyes get big. Then pop the question.;lol

It works nearly every time.

I work for a big electric utility and know the boss of the forestry department for the utility where I live these guys almost never want to deal with the trees they are removing I would just find out who to talk to they have to pay their guys to dispose of the trees or limbs a lot of time on the big right always they just let them rot have been getting a lot of wood last three or four years this way ten plus cords of locust last year alone last fall they even delivered a crane truck of fresh cut maple usually only problem is if they have a crane truck load they want all off truck if you have a place to put it it's a great deal never hurts to ask city's and utilities usually don't care about the wood I even have it where I'll clean up areas where they removed trees or limbs these guys just drop them then come back to either chip or load up into large dumpsters to take to the landfill if you can get the bosses or foremans number work something out with them beer and or food always appreciated trust me work with a lot of lineman and tree guys if they know you want it to heat your house they are usually pretty reasonable to work with good luck

Reactions: smee
It may depend on the area . . . around my place so many folks burn wood and want to keep the wood that Asplundh and similar outfits simply drop the wood on site for the landowner to take, give away or let rot. I asked and they have got in trouble before by giving away wood and now simply leave it on site.

Reactions: STIHLY DAN
Around here it is like the land rush, if public property they leave the trunk and it is a race. If its near a house go ask or the blue lights will show up.

Any tips on how to get these guys who are taking down trees near the road to drop them off at your place?
$

Around here folks only burn for ambiance. I know a guy who burns strictly delivered oak in his backyard chimney. A few towns south, east, there are more heat burners.

Or if you live close, draw them a map to your home and tell them to drop it where the case of beer is sitting.
Gift cards to steak houses work good too!

It depends on policy mainly. Some utilities have gps on our trucks and you will get fired for being someplace your not ordered to. Others like municipalities are better because they are more laid back and will sometimes bring loads to you. Asplundh is prob best to bribe crew and supervisor like above mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.