Going rate for a cord?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamaha_gurl

Aug 31, 2008
Ontairo
Just curious, IF you purchase your wood, what is the going rate in your area? I've seen some of you on here post numbers as high as $200. Here in St. Catharines, Ontario seasoned split hardwood goes for about $70-$85 delivered most of the time.

Hey! I'm up in Midland, bout 3 hour north. Going rate is about 250-300 cord split and delivered. You may be getting a face cord (1/3) for that price.

Im sure thats for a face cord, not a full cord. generaly a face cord is a third of a cord. 4X4X16 inches

call and find out, if its a full cord its a deal, but I dont think so. Bout the same price as a yamaha yuk yuk

Hanko said:
call and find out, if its a full cord its a deal, but I dont think so. Bout the same price as a yamaha yuk yuk

How long do you think it takes to cut down and split one cord? I mean, by parents have so much dead trees on their 30 acres...we could have free wood anytime, just that all that work...lol. There are several different ads for firewood, all about $70. Think I should just get some eh? Oh and I was once dumb and owned a yamaha, now I ride Zawasaki ;)

$200 - $250 a "seasoned" cord here in the Berkshires in the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts. Green is running about $150 - $175. Either way it needs to sit so why pay extra for the so called "seasoned"?

Adios Pantalones said:
$350 or more is not unheard of here.
Wow bring a a tractor trailer and sell 30 cords for me PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

Prices are High Here

$150-175 for green cut and split cord
$200-300 for seasoned cut and split cord
$400-450 for "Kiln" dried cut and split cord

Check out the link below
http://www.lifirewood.com

"kiln" dried, thats a new one for me

It has been around $300 a cord for "seasoned" wood and $250 for green. I am waiting for the prices to come down with the cost of heating oil. The prices jumped because of the cost of fuel to run the equipment and deliver as well as the competing prices for oil. Now that the oil and gas have dropped the wood should follow suit but I have not seen that yet? geti ti while you can I guess. I am NEVER going to pay $300 a cord for wood!!!

[quotewe could have free wood anytime, just that all that work][/quote]

The work is good. Repeat after me. The work is good ;-)

I've seen 325-385 a seasoned cord here.
275-280 a green cord.
And the craziest one was in the local Market Bulletin which is for farmers.
A cord of "seasoned" white pine for 225 bucks. I've never heard of anyone paying for pine let alone real money.

mikepinto65 said:
"kiln" dried, thats a new one for me

My friend sells kiln dried in his wood business - not the sort of stuff you'd want to heat with, as it is WAY expensive, but he sells a lot of face cords or half face cords to people who want occasional "ambiance" fires. We typically split very small - 2x4 or less and fill up a large trailer, which he puts in his barn - heated to well over 100* for 2-3 days, comes out nice and dry.

I don't do much w/ pricing but I think he gets like $250 for a face cord, delivered and stacked... He also has a self-serve rack w/ little cubbies that are probably 18" or so square, or a good armload worth - $10 per, and he sells a lot of them....

We get wood from all sorts of places, lately he's been going up to VT, picking up a trailer load of green cut and split and bringing it back - we then resplit it and put it in the kiln...

Gooserider

Wait a minute. You guys are cutting, splitting, and putting it in a 100 degree barn for a few days then selling it as "kiln dried"? Sorry dude, thats got to be some kind of joke.

boostnut said:
Wait a minute. You guys are cutting, splitting, and putting it in a 100 degree barn for a few days then selling it as "kiln dried"? Sorry dude, thats got to be some kind of joke.

No he said "heated to well over 100* for 2-3 days, comes out nice and dry." the well over part got you if it were 212*F all the water would boil out.

I am not sure at what temp wood starts to smolder or turn colors but The flash point of wood 572 degrees Fahre­nheit (300 C).

I can attest to seeing $350 a cord in S NH. Seems ludicrous to me. I asked a few logger friends what they were getting for a Log load of uncut and unsplit this summer and they told me they were getting 150 per cord but neither one had any and had waiting lists.

My dealer is charging $175 for green and $265 for seasoned

Those are crazy prices! So can anyone tell me how long it takes on average to cut down and split a cord of wood? By hand?

I sell all beech seasoned 2 years.
Slabwood $150/cord
Firewood $255/cord or $225/cord for 5 cord load.
Mixed green/semi-seasoned slabwood is $90/cord for 5 cord load.
Booked till hell freezes over!
Was going to lower my prices because fuel was going down but changed my mind when I had to replace the starter and a few switches on the generator that runs my operation. $2200 and change and 3 weeks downtime because repairman wouldn't return my calls. Ended up goin with a different company and took them 10 days to order wiring diagrams. What a fluster cuck. Right in the middle of BOOM TIME!

Status
Not open for further replies.