Going to Tractor Supply To buy a log splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlow

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2009
Sterling Heights, Michigan
I have been reading the threads about log splitters. I am heading to Tractor Supply tonight to buy the Huskee 22 ton. Is this a mistake or is the $1099 a good buy!!!

jlow said:
I have been reading the threads about log splitters. I am heading to Tractor Supply tonight to buy the Huskee 22 ton. Is this a mistake or is the $1099 a good buy!!!
new thats pretty good

yup, a friend of mine bought the same exact one. it is a hell of a machine. Honda engine..real smooth

The Huskee 22 ton that I bought from Tractor Supply several months ago has been working very well. I have split close to 7 cords with it and it has only had a problem with some severely wind twisted Beech. It split it but man was it working hard.
By the way my 22 ton has the Briggs engine. I don't have to prime it at all just open the throttle to choke position and it starts on the 1st or 2nd pull. Very pleased so far.

Ben

My 22 ton huskee (speeco) with a 6.5 B&S;engine is on it's fourth spring and doing quite well. Nothing but filter and engine oil changes for me so far. I built t table for it and it's even better. Now I've stop it dead a few times on 20" hickory crotches but they are few and far in between and nothing that my saws won't take care of in short order. It has done an easy 40 cord plus between mine, my parents and firewood for my sister. Now I heard that speeco changed the pump to some other brand ( not prince) and read that some people have broken the foot plate off of speeco splitters , but mine is doing well.

I bought one a few weeks back. I have about 10hrs on it and it's doing just fine. I have some 1yr old elm that's pretty tough on it, but it's all I'll need! Yes it was $1099.00, but no Honda, it's a B&S;.

NOTE: If you live close enough that you are going to tow it home, be sure to cover the breather hole on the hydro tank cap for the duration of the trip. Look at the 4 sides of the nut that is the tank cap, one of them has a hole for pressure relief. (I wish someone would have warned me about this) A couple of medium size rubberbands ought to do the trick.

I bought my Huskee 22 ton Briggs from TSC about 2 years ago. The one thing I would try is, when I bought mine, I asked the salesman if he could do anything on the price. He said he had a 10% off coupon in his pocket, I told him it was a deal with that. The store manager wound up giving me 10% off everything I bought that day. So I saved well over $100.

The other thing I found is the bolts come loose on the splitter, so keep a eye on them. The oil is a S.O.B to change.

Shipper

I also heard about bolts coming loose. I would suggest going over ever bot on the machine prior to first use. Also, check what kind of oil to run in it. I am running full synethetic in mine now.

Is it possible to get this splitter with a Honda engine on it? I have used this splitter with a B&S;and it was quite loud. Not louder than my MS390, but if the Honda engine is quieter, I might consider the upgrade worth it.

dont think so, but you can goto the larger splitter with the Honda on it.

Be careful with the Honda engines on the Huskee splitters (and perhaps that series of Honda engines as a whole). There was a recall on them I believe. When I bought mine a few months ago the guy at TSC told me that the were selling them and 2 days later they were coming back with major engine problems (broken crank or something like that). I didnt need a splitter that big so it was a non-issue for me.

Ben

Don't be afraid to haggle on the price. I have a friend who got an extra $300 taken off the sale price of a mower week before last. I also know another guy who is "banned" from the local store after he talked them down on something, and then presented a 30% off coupon....

Haggling didn't work. Only had 1 in stock. Bought it and I am very happy with it's performance so far. I did check all bolts and fluid levels before using it. Thanks for all your input. I am now off to build storage rack for seasoning. Will take photos when I am done.

Thanks, Jeff

Got a Sale Flyer in the mail yesterday. 999.00 for the Huskee 22 Ton.

Caz said:
If it's a TSC flyer, check their price protection policy. Many stores will rebate you the difference if what you buy goes on sale the next week.

I have the 22 ton spee co with a 33 quart capacity fluid resivior. It is about 5 years old. I know they changed to a 17 quart now. It has a briggs motor on it and I can honestly say it does a great job! I run synthetic 10w-30 in the motor and hydro trans fluid in the splitter. I run it winter and summer. The only issue is when I pull it with the tractor the oil tips and it burns a puff at startup then clears. This is not a motor flaw but an aplication flaw. I add about so much every 4th or 5th splitting adventure and keep it full. In all that time I changed the filter at about 4 years for the heck of it. I cut it open to see it and it was clean as a whistle! Someone had posted their resivior was dirty and filled with paper so I figured to change it out. Only conplaint is the filter is on the supply side??? Seems to be working fine though! Speeco is the exact same as huskey! Do not be afraid of the briggs! Only thing I would add is a table. Gets to be a pain sometines picking up over and over again!

My 22 ton huskee is four year old and the total hydraulic capacity is 20 quarts, so I'm guessing 17 quarts in the tank.
Here a picture of the table I built for mine.

Attachments

• spliter 006.JPG
    spliter 006.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 529
So the Huskee being talked about is the 22 ton Speeco?

I have the B & S engine on mine and the machine is awesome.

Just noticed that it looks identical to the one above, except for the name.

Caz said:

I just bought mine yesterday for $999; I love it. The wife advised against starting another build it yourself project and suggested I just buy one. Of course she was right. Be safe.
Ed

Jags said:
colebrookman said:
Of course she was right.

I hate when that happens. ;-P
In my case it happens a lot. But I love your splitter: building my own has just been pushed to the back burner till I finish a few, well many, other projects.
Ed

colebrookman said:
Jags said:
colebrookman said:
Of course she was right.

In my case it happens a lot. But I love your splitter: building my own has just been pushed to the back burner till I finish a few, well many, other projects.
Ed

wrong post sorry

smokinj said:
colebrookman said:
Jags said:
colebrookman said:
Of course she was right.

Ed

OILOMATIC® STIHL RAPID™ Super Comfort (RSC) not sure what the super comfort all about sure it has to do with the new anti-vibe thing the 91 stands for the drive lenths in the chain and thats what iam running and its a full skip. I run the OILOMATIC® STIHL RAPID™ Super (RS). sounds like your set for smooth cutting!

Ummm....wrong thread there big guy. :red:

Don't worry, I've done it.....and who of all people catch me....yeah, it was BroB.

Jags said:
smokinj said:
colebrookman said:
Jags said:
colebrookman said:
Of course she was right.

Ed

OILOMATIC® STIHL RAPID™ Super Comfort (RSC) not sure what the super comfort all about sure it has to do with the new anti-vibe thing the 91 stands for the drive lenths in the chain and thats what iam running and its a full skip. I run the OILOMATIC® STIHL RAPID™ Super (RS). sounds like your set for smooth cutting!

Don't worry, I've done it.....and who of all people catch me....yeah, it was BroB.
yep I was trying to get it out of there but your to quick

smokinj said:
Jags said:
smokinj said:
colebrookman said:
Jags said:
colebrookman" date="1242934567 said:
Of course she was right.

Ed

yep I was trying to get it out of there but your to quick

I lurk in the dark shadows and behind bushes and then.....whammo...gotch ya. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.