Good Gloves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Guys, I appreciate EVERYBODYs suggestions and imput. Now the quest begins....

hago

cass

smokinjay said:
jlove1974 said:
apples to oranges = comparing a chainsaw to gloves

Jersey gloves are $1 a pair, the coated ones are $1.50 a pair, and leather/spandex with velcro cuff are $5

My reasoning is unless they are worth 5 times as much (toughness, insulation, etc) you are paying for a name.

And now, since 95% of "name-brands" are manufactured in China, tell me what you are paying for?

Yes, I agree those gloves you have pictured look like they are worth every penny. But who is to say the current
production run is made equally to yours? Remember the dollar vs the Yuan is a losing proposition.
No company is immune to it, and inflation is real. Value is king. That's just the way it is, like it or not.

Now, that being said send me a pair of those $25 gloves and I'll try my best to prove they aren't worth it.

lol I just want a "good pair of gloves"! I dont need you to prove anything. I already know what I like better. What I am showing is a good pair of gloves not 1.00 or a 1.50 pair of gloves. If its ok with you I will keep mine and you wear yours. Today would be a good test run for you! lol again.
At my current location today is like 40 degrees. I could wear jersey gloves and be fine

jlove1974 said:
smokinjay said:
jlove1974 said:
apples to oranges = comparing a chainsaw to gloves

Jersey gloves are $1 a pair, the coated ones are $1.50 a pair, and leather/spandex with velcro cuff are $5

My reasoning is unless they are worth 5 times as much (toughness, insulation, etc) you are paying for a name.

And now, since 95% of "name-brands" are manufactured in China, tell me what you are paying for?

Yes, I agree those gloves you have pictured look like they are worth every penny. But who is to say the current
production run is made equally to yours? Remember the dollar vs the Yuan is a losing proposition.
No company is immune to it, and inflation is real. Value is king. That's just the way it is, like it or not.

Now, that being said send me a pair of those $25 gloves and I'll try my best to prove they aren't worth it.

lol I just want a "good pair of gloves"! I dont need you to prove anything. I already know what I like better. What I am showing is a good pair of gloves not 1.00 or a 1.50 pair of gloves. If its ok with you I will keep mine and you wear yours. Today would be a good test run for you! lol again.
At my current location today is like 40 degrees. I could wear jersey gloves and be fine

8 degrees here and thats the hi for today!

tcassavaugh said:
Thanks Guys, I appreciate EVERYBODYs suggestions and imput. Now the quest begins....

hago

cass

No prob man. If I were searching for a pair of lifetime gloves, start at your local hardware store see what they sell. If you get sticker shock, proceed
to TSC or HF and lower your expectations while lowering your budget ;)

I get a pair for Christmas each year.. I think they come from Menards... They are leather palms with a spandex outers.. They are great for wood working (not the wood pile) well they are good for the wood pile but you will only get about a year out of them. And they are too expensive to just beat up . LOL

I have a pair of DeWALT gloves that are pretty good in single digit weather.

temp read -6 when I left for work this morning. the dogs kept a hole in the water dish.

jlove1974 said:
unlike most people believe, it's all relative because it's ALL made in China ;)
look on the labels of your clothes.
My theory is, if it's all made in China, at least I paid less Yuan for it...

Also, my cheep gloves have last 2 years probably because I rotate between pairs ;)

Just bought some carhartt boots. Guess where they were made ? That's right China. Cant hardly find anything totaly made in the us anymore.

And so it was with my Wolverine boots, and within 2 months the seams on the toes started leaking. I bought a pair of hunting boots this year, from ALDI of all places,
and they did the same thing. Only diff was the price $15 vs $100. Have to use gorilla glue on both to seal them up.
Either you go out of your mind trying to find quality, or adopt a different attitude (which I have mostly done). It's a disposable society we live in.

quote]Just bought some carhartt boots. Guess where they were made ? That's right China. Cant hardly find anything totally made in the us anymore.[/quote]

I just had a Carhart Jacket come that i ordered from Dicks Sporting goods. I had gone to the Carhart web site prior and the Jackets, at least this one, is still crafted in the good ole USA. I try to find things made in the U.S. but its getting hard to do.

This was a lot livelier discussion subject than i thought it would be.Thanks again for all the insight into the different styles types and pricing for gloves.

hago

cass

RoseRedHoofbeats said:
I second deerskin, it's what bull riders wear. I've had the same pair of deerskin gloves for five years now and I use them as my all-around work gloves, including working with horses and handling wood.

~Rose
maybe im just cheap, but i use the cheapest gloves i can find. usually the $.99 ones from harbor freight.
i go through 2-3 pairs a season, and keep just as many in my truck as when the gloves get wet, so do my hands. and then they get cold.

par0thead151 said:
RoseRedHoofbeats said:
I second deerskin, it's what bull riders wear. I've had the same pair of deerskin gloves for five years now and I use them as my all-around work gloves, including working with horses and handling wood.

~Rose
maybe im just cheap, but i use the cheapest gloves i can find. usually the $.99 ones from harbor freight.
i go through 2-3 pairs a season, and keep just as many in my truck as when the gloves get wet, so do my hands. and then they get cold.
frugality is the strong kung fu in the face of this economy. Fortunately for me, my upbringing required me to be pretty frugal so I feel prepared lol.
My longtime friend is the type that just goes and buys more than he needs in everything. I assume he's on the brink of financial disaster now that he's unemployed.

jlove1974 said:
Backwoods Savage said:
My problem is finding any winter work gloves! Even today, I went to the biggest Tractor Supply Store in our area. Same problem; no winter work gloves. They claimed they had some and sold lots of them. Sorry, but I was in that store in October or November and there was not a winter work glove in the store!

For years I wore Wells Lamont that were pile lined and never found anything better. I guess they still make them because I wrote to them. They even gave me a list of stores that carry them. Well, the stores will tell you a different story. End result: nobody has them so I just have to suffer through with whatever I can find. I have some that work pretty good so long as the temperature is around 30 or above but that does not help much right now.

Dennis, they don't sell them probably for the same reasons as I mentioned. Nobody will pay for a pair of $20 gloves when they can get a pair of $5 ones
at the local china-mart. So in turn, the stores don't carry them. TSC is no different.

But I bet you would find them at Ace Hardware, or any local stores that are along a similar vein. Fortunately for us, we have a local
store here in town and that's where I 'shop local'. But when I am bargain hunting I do it at the source (Harbor Sheight). I even shop clearance at the HF lol.

When our local hardware went to being an Ace Hardware, they now carry only the Ace brand gloves and not Wells Lamont. There is a huge difference but I understand why they have to buy the Ace brands now. Sad, but that's what we have. Oh, we also have the True Values and others but they all carry the same junk. Seems nobody carries any good winter work gloves any more. Also, they all seem to think Thinsulate is the way to go. Not so! I'll take heavy pile lining any day. Thinsulate is okay until you start picking up cold wood; then the cold goes right through them.

One more point. You indeed can find some great warm gloves.....for sport. But those things just won't last while handling wood.

You are paying for the Carharrt name, my sister used to work in glove factory that made gloves, you guessed it some had the name and some did not but were the same glove.

smokinjay said:
jlove1974 said:
The OP is in Maryland and didn't specify insulated gloves, just ones that wouldn't wear out :p

BTW on Carhardtts own website, the only reviewer said they sucked. You might want to go on there and rave about them and bring it into balance Jay :)

I could care less what others think....My opion is how I spend my money. "Op asking about a good pair of glove" (your is a throw away set).....I have uninsulated one to. I will pay the money for a good pair of gloves chainsaw splitter axes or anything else I want. But You can bet if I own it, its going to be nice or I sell it.

You can tout those all you want. My post was about a good pair that was cheap too.

our local Ace carries the same stuff...junk ranging from a couple of dollars to specialty gloves around 15-20 or more (they aint so special). The local True Value must be more independant as it carries a little bit more variety and a wider pricing with the same ole problems with quality and longevity. I remember the days when you could get a wool insert in your "choppers mitten" or some of the leather gloves. I still have a pair of liners around from my days someplace. Normally my hands don't have a problem staying warm in unlined gloves as it rarely gets too cold down this way but its a little nippely this morning waking up to crisp 15 degrees out....it finally got up to 18 and not expected out of the 20's.

oldspark said:
You are paying for the Carharrt name, my sister used to work in glove factory that made gloves, you guessed it some had the name and some did not but were the same glove.

That part I get. Just like Dennis said not a lot of choices at are store's so a good glove at the tsc for winter is limited. There already putting spring crap out. Bet you could sale a bunch of carhart stuff here today at a street corner. There is an off brand at the tsc that is better than the carharts heavier that what my gf wears and much cheaper and better. If I ever wear my bibs out (bought 2002) I going to make that switch. My budget for every thing is tight, but I also have to get it done with out frostbite.

I had started a nice long post about the three industries that have basically been killed around here, much of it gone to Mexico, China, India, South America, etc.,. But, I figured I would be preaching to the choir. Suffice it to say that (I believe) the average US citizen doesn't care enough about the one trillion dollar debt that we owe China (nor the other 13 trillion we owe elsewhere) to let it bother them...they're trying to make ends meet and cheap china stuff helps them (somewhat) meet that goal. The fact that buying these imports is only feeding the problem is not included in their immediate plan of survival. The illegal/undocumented folks mostly don't have a clue and are here for the ride (either gov programs or untaxed wages)....but, they too are trying to survive and flee from a very bad environment south of the border. Then there's the folks that can see the problem and are concerned about it (most of us here on the forum fall in this group). We look for an item but all we can find is imports, so we buy it. Eventually we're numbed to the fact and if we even make an attempt to find an item "Made in the USA", it's a weak attempt. My Dickies t-shirt is made in Honduras and my Fruit-of-the-Loom boxer shorts are made in El Salvador....these are basic items and are thought of as USA brands but... Big problems, but who's got the answers?

Back on topic... I had used some of those cheap, "split cowhide" gloves with the cuffs on them....amazed me how quickly they wore out handling firewood. I picked up a couple of pairs of the cheap ($1.49) "Cotton Rubber Grip Gloves" at HF the other day (says "Western Safety" or something on them) and so far they seem to be holding up surprisingly well...so far. I like them better, too, because wood chips/trash doesn't go down the cuff being as they fit the wrist snuggly. They're no good for a winter glove but they work well in my climate. If I wear them while doing sign language it comes out in Mandarin. :shut:

Ed

i use my lineman gloves we use at work , i find they wear well if anything the stiching comes out first before the leather gives up. worth the cost :)

Forget the HF rubberized gloves...they ended up only lasted through a little over a 1/2 cord of stacking and resplitting larger splits/rounds before they started getting small holes in them. I'll be looking elsewhere. Linesman's gloves, that's a thought.

Ed

I used to buy Frosty Grips at Speedway gas stations. Now my work provides us with a similar thermal, dipped type of glove, so I bring home my half worn out gloves and finish them off at the woodpile. I'd go back to the Frosty Grips if I had to buy gloves though. They're relatively cheap, relatively warm, and relatively durable.

just wore out two fingertips of most recent set of gloves stacking some new wood. guess its off to find another pair, or mabe duct tape the fingertips for awhile :)

cass

Lots of posts about gloves but it seems I must be the only one who works when it is cold enough that I need insulated gloves..... Those are almost extinct now.

i have insulated (Thinsulate) buckskin gloves that i use when its cold here but i don't use them for heavy duty work such as handling or cutting wood. more for driving and general stuff outside. Think i got them at Cabalas years ago.

cass

Ya, that is the problem. Lots of insulated gloves but none made for working. I also have not had good luck with thinsulate and that is what most are going to.

I don't have "good, long wearing gloves", but I do have gloves that are EXTREMELY cheap so it's not a problem to throw them away.

I'll give you a little back story on how I discovered them.

I had heard that the latex/rubber dipped/coated gloves last a while with wood. I had also heard that the thinner ones last longer because the rubber doesn't peel off in chunks quite as easily.

So I bought 2 pairs at Menards for $3.97 hoping they'd last me through the winter. It turns out they only lasted about 1 week each. BUT, just as I was getting to the end of the life of the second pair, Menards ran a special on a 3-pack of really thin, cheap rubber dipped gloves. They were free after rebate so I had nothing to lose by trying them. I grabbed the limit on them and took them home and tried them. These things are paper thin, but I think that's the silver lining to them. They're so thin that the coating doesn't peel off, it just cracks and wears down. I've been using the same 2 pair of gloves since about mid-September; just used them today, in fact. The one pair has just started to get a hole in the right middle finger tip; the other pair is still going strong.

The gloves are RW brand, they come in a 3-pack. The fabric is plain white, the rubber is blue.

I think the 3-pack normally sells for less than $5. So for $5 you can have gloves that will last about 1 year of moderate use IMHO. I'd rather buy cheap gloves that need replaced than expensive ones that still need replaced...

Status
Not open for further replies.