good splitter???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

argus66

Feeling the Heat
Dec 9, 2007
central coastal nj
well it looks like my yard machine 7 ton splitter has bitten the dust (unless warranty covers it) but looking to find a good sized somewhat cheeper log splitter, saw one at harbor freight for $1100 think it was 20 ton. thats about top of what i can spend. 7 ton was little but got the job done because im only one guy and logs i can lift can just be only so big and never really had any problems. what are u guys using? whats good for $? what should i avoid? thanks

Id recommend a BlazeKing, those 7 ton yard machines dont make a very good stove. Try the gear room, they can probably relate better over there. %-P

north of 60 said:
Id recommend a BlazeKing, those 7 ton yard machines dont make a very good stove. Try the gear room, they can probably relate better over there. %-P

I thought this was the Gear Room???

flash49 said:
north of 60 said:

I thought this was the Gear Room???

It was moved. Was in the Hearth.

I got a 22 ton husky(speeco) from tractor supply for 999 included the hydro and engine oil. They have coupons and specials to get that price all the time reg. is $1099. I think they are one of the better splitters for the money and they have good customer service. I would get this one if I had to do it again. it splits anything I can throw at it even elm or 30+ inch rounds are no problem. Don't know why you would ever need a 28 or 35 ton that they also sell.

ya that sounds perfect , i have to find that store near me ive seen the adds on tv but have never seen the store.
the 7 ton splitter i have is gas powered i still have it here shop 1 town over does warranty work im going to bring it by there next week but im betting they will not do anything i dont have good luck with warranty issues. a bottom bolt broke on the pushing bracket and then it dented the bar(where the wood lays when u split)

If you go in, get on their mailing list and they send out fliers monthly. They usually have 10% off coupons in them about 4-5 times a year(I just got one this month that I used for dog food and bedding). They also have them on sale during their demo days in the spring and maybe fall. Also if you apply for their store cc card I think they give you a 10% discount on your first purchase with it.

I have the 30 ton version of that HF splitter, and while it has some issues, and there may be an issue with the cylinder (do a search for the LONG thread w/ my review, mods, and a discussion of the cylinder problem) it is a machine that does a pretty decent job... If you have storage space issues, it is better to store because it doesn't have a trailer tongue, and with the beam vertical doesn't take much more floor space than the size of the axle and wheels...

Gooserider

Glacialhills said:
If you go in, get on their mailing list and they send out fliers monthly. They usually have 10% off coupons in them about 4-5 times a year(I just got one this month that I used for dog food and bedding). They also have them on sale during their demo days in the spring and maybe fall. Also if you apply for their store cc card I think they give you a 10% discount on your first purchase with it.

I saw them on sale for $999 just a few weeks ago at my local tsc.

I too will chime in on TSC. We have a 20 ton and it does everything we need to do and we've split dozens of cords of wood with not one problem. Well, we did have one log that it did not split. Not bad, one log out of how many thousand! Perhaps I could have split it by tinkering but it wasn't worth it to me. I just threw it on the brush pile.

I have a northern tool 20 ton that retailed for 999. When going to purchase I asked about store returns. Salesman said he had one they had used as a demo unit that had some damage. Went to back and found that someone had bent one of the log holders. Got it for 600. towed it to the house and beat the log holder straight with my sledge hammer (costly repair?). So long story short, shop around and remember, in todays economy everyone is willing to deal to make a sale.

I'm thinking a D-9 cylinder, a 5.9 Cummins, and a heckofa pump and you're in business...

woodfar said:
I have a northern tool 20 ton that retailed for 999. When going to purchase I asked about store returns. Salesman said he had one they had used as a demo unit that had some damage. Went to back and found that someone had bent one of the log holders. Got it for 600. towed it to the house and beat the log holder straight with my sledge hammer (costly repair?). So long story short, shop around and remember, in todays economy everyone is willing to deal to make a sale.

I'm looking at the Northern Tool (North Star) also but I must have seen something different because the small one goes for $1399 (before shipping and all that good stuff).

i think i may buy a 20 ton harbor freight. still on the fence but seems like best deal around.

argus66 said:
i think i may buy a 20 ton harbor freight. still on the fence but seems like best deal around.

Not a bad unit, but you might want to read the thread I made on my 30-ton unit - which is essentially the same hardware platform, with a different engine / pump / cylinder combination - I've done a bunch of mods on my unit, which has made me a lot happier with it, though it wasn't bad to start with... I would say that the HF unit is great if storage space is an issue, if it isn't then I would tend to say that any of the other budget priced units, such as MTD, TSC/Speeco, Northern, etc. would be just about as good...

Gooserider

im torn between the 2 now it looks like husskee 22 ton from tractor supply its on sale $900, plus 10% off so looks like the winner, hopefully it will be a sale a little longer so i can get some $ together.

argus66 said:
im torn between the 2 now it looks like husskee 22 ton from tractor supply its on sale $900, plus 10% off so looks like the winner, hopefully it will be a sale a little longer so i can get some $ together.

If you can get it for that, it's a steal. I paid 999 plus tax for mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.