Got Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike821

Nov 3, 2010
Bridgewater NJ
Last Friday I was playing Mr. Mom with both of my children. One sick with strep and the other just 6mo old. I had to take my daughter to the doctor. I was heading out and as soon as I stepped outside I hear that brrrraaaaa brrrraaaaa of a chainsaw. I launched the children in the truck. I was late to the doctor, but was determined to find out who was cutting. BINGO! Someone had a tree service take down a big ole Oak. I stopped and asked the guy if I can have the wood. Sure....it would help us out. I told him I would be back in about an hour to let him know the house to drop off the wood. After the doc I came back and let them know my truck would be in front of the house they can dump the wood. It was just before dark someone knocked on the door. It was the tree guy. He had a truck filled with 6-10 ft logs. I was able to score two truck loads of wood. I did not want the 3ft+ logs and he said that some other guy wanted them. Well I just finished today cutting and splitting. 3-4 chords of wood all split by hand. Not bad for three days work. 2013-2014 will be a nice year with all Oak.

Attachments

• Splitwood.jpg
    Splitwood.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 567
  • Justdumpedwood.jpg
    Justdumpedwood.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 593
score!! nice job!.... i take my wood supply for granted , all i have is mostly oak... good score though!

fyrwoodguy .....wholy $hit! Something tells me you are the tree man. Nice stack of sticks....I am sure you have a few days work there....LOL

Looks like a great score there! I don't think it is pin oak but could be.

Here are some pics that I took of the splits and the base of the tree. I know it is Oak...but what kind I am unsure of. Some say Pin Oak....but others say it is not. Any ideas? Also this will take 2 years to dry? I have a feeling it will but just wanted to ask the pro's.

Attachments

• IMG_9307.jpg
    IMG_9307.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_9310.jpg
    IMG_9310.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_9313.jpg
    IMG_9313.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 380
OK...here is my guess. Chestnut Oak I did some research and this looks like a winner.
What do you think?

Mike821 said:
Here are some pics that I took of the splits and the base of the tree. I know it is Oak...but what kind I am unsure of. Some say Pin Oak....but others say it is not. Any ideas? Also this will take 2 years to dry? I have a feeling it will but just wanted to ask the pro's.

Jay, he has whatever I have.....exact match.

Just wiped my keyboard off because the drool was seeping between the keys. What a score! Delivered ta boot!

pin oak is a maybe
certainly red oak
if you were slabbing it up for floorboards you might pass on pin oak due to the tiny knots that can be retained
makes for mighty fine firewood if you let it age well.

you're lucky it appears to be bug free.
many of mine are full of carpenter ants from the base to as much as 20 feet up. can lose a good 1/2 cord of wood to those critters

If the leaves were small slivers it was a Willow Oak. The bark sure looks like a Willow Oak. I guess you don't find leaves this time of year.

Status
Not open for further replies.