Grand Canyon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukem

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2010
Indiana
Travlling this week. Snapped this pic from 30 some thousand feet.

Attachments

• 2011-08-02_12-05-51_273.jpg
    2011-08-02_12-05-51_273.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 348
One more.

Attachments

• 2011-08-02_12-06-05_502.jpg
    2011-08-02_12-06-05_502.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 335
Hey Lukem, have you seen it from ground level? I think it is even more impressive there but at least from the height you can get a better idea of the total size which is awesome. Good pictures you took there.

Backwoods Savage said:
Hey Lukem, have you seen it from ground level? I think it is even more impressive there but at least from the height you can get a better idea of the total size which is awesome. Good pictures you took there.

I haven't seen it from the ground. Would love to kayak down it some day.

I saw it once in real life...so big it doesn't even make sense. Nice pics.

I ran the Navajo trail one time (didn't know it was the Navajo trail) to get to Denver from Phoenix (what a road). Got a hotel that night and woke up with an amazing view, had no clue where I was at....

lukem said:
..Would love to kayak down it some day.

As a history and geography buff, I find the story of John Wesley Powell's adventures on that river to be fascinating reading. Rick

Delta-T said:
I saw it once in real life...so big it doesn't even make sense. Nice pics.

I was there a few years ago. That about sums it up. It is big gosh darn hole in the ground! A real big hole! If I spent a month there, it still wouldn't be enough. Places like that, and the drive out to them are simply unreal for a lifetime Northeasterner. Put it on your list!

first time in a plane was a small one that a buddy and me bought tickets to fly into the canyon back in the 70's. best part of the flight was when the pilot started descending to be at low flight level near the rim, crossed over into the canyon, then the bottom literally dropped out! very stunning.
took 99 there in the 2000's along with our kids. also, drove through california to see the sequoias and redwoods. her first time for all of that (my first time for vegas). now, thats what you want to see...the sequoias!!! wow!
her favorite was the canyon.

Driving my new convertible back from California on vacation in 1981 we pulled up to one of the parking spots at the rim of the canyon. There were hedges between the lot and the canyon and I had never seen the thing before. I walked through that hedge and the site took my breath away. Ya just have to stand there and see it. There is no describing it.

Flew over the Grand Canyon back in March 1981 when on the way home from LA.

Unbelievable experience, must have spent half an hour looking down on it as we flew along the length of it.

Those pictures bring back some happy memories :)

Status
Not open for further replies.