Grass transition

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
Okay, I've got grsss-to-mulch and concrete-to-pea stone convered, but what is a good technique for pea stone-to- grass?

A lot of hard work !!

middle-earth wizardry ?

Do you mean edging between them, or converting one to the other?
I mean stopping the grass from growing into /over the pea gravel. The trick is an air gap, but it's hard to create one with gravel.

Round-up. Or a vinegar water soap mix to kill the encroaching vegetation every so often.
Using round up on the edge of the grass makes brown grass that still has roots.

I would start by cutting a deep edge at the transition so that you have a deep gravel base- maybe even a couple inches of sand or crushed stone at the bottom. The big issue with stone is that over years, dirt will build up there by natural processes and then seeds can take root (in fact, at that point, they settle down between the stones, which act as a mulch of sorts). This is one of the reasons that landscape fabric is really not a long-term solution.

I would start by cutting a deep edge at the transition so that you have a deep gravel base- maybe even a couple inches of sand or crushed stone at the bottom. The big issue with stone is that over years, dirt will build up there by natural processes and then seeds can take root (in fact, at that point, they settle down between the stones, which act as a mulch of sorts). This is one of the reasons that landscape fabric is really not a long-term solution.
I'm not so much concerned with weeds/grass growing up from beneath or in the gravel. I'm concerned with the grass/weeds spreading into the gravel. And with gravel, there's no edge void to put a string edger in.

Looks like I'll have to add a course of bricks to separate the grass and gravel. They have some ok looking gray cement brick. Anyone use that metal edging with spike stuff?

I've used the stainless steel banding that is often used along the edge of patio bricks to keep rhizome grass and weeds out.
It works well.

I've used plastic band and it pushes out of the ground with freeze-thaw cycles. As do 5/4 PT boards.

I've used the stainless steel banding that is often used along the edge of patio bricks to keep rhizome grass and weeds out.
It works well.

I've used plastic band and it pushes out of the ground with freeze-thaw cycles. As do 5/4 PT boards.
Stainless steel? How much does that cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.