H&G Escape 35 - installation confirmation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RMcElar

Nov 10, 2020
New Jersey
I am installing my natural gas Escape 35 and in the installation instructions it indicates to remove the panels on either side of the unit that cover up the electronics and never instructs to reinstall them. It seems as if these panels remain removed the circulating fan would pull some air from the original fireplace fire box in which I’m not sure this is needed or not.

do these panels remain removed or should they be put back in place for normal operation?
image.jpg

On what page does it say to remove them?
I have the installation instructions, & didn't see
that mentioned, but I may have missed it...

On what page does it say to remove them?
I have the installation instructions, & didn't see
that mentioned, but I may have missed it...

I have Installation manual 2550-980 Rev. K. In section 11- B on page 28 it shows this in the “Remove the Shipping Materials”. Image attached for reference. Maybe this is a different panel on the Escape 30 which the manual also seems to be for.

image.jpg

Interesting. I work on these almost daily.
I would reinstall as the distribution blower should
draw air from the room thru the bottom of the unit.
I will try to remember & check with our installers tomorrow.

Interesting. I work on these almost daily.
I would reinstall as the distribution blower should
draw air from the room thru the bottom of the unit.
I will try to remember & check with our installers tomorrow.

these were my thoughts exactly, that you want to pull air from the room and not the original fire box. I assume these might be different panels on the Escape 30 unit? I just remembered that this step in the installation is in section 11 which is basically finishing the installation of lava rock and logs. Technically the unit is installed with surround in section 7 so these panels would be inaccessible

Thinkin about the reasoning for this & I will confirm,
but these units are kick-a$$ heaters, & the covers
over the electronics might need to be removed because
they may need to be cooled by incoming air, so they don't get
damaged by heat build up in the shell. Will still check...

We haven't received an acceptable answer from Tech, yet, but the owner will go a
little higher in the food chain to see what's up with that.
I WILL say that there a LOT of those inserts out there installed
by my company, that are installed with the covers on &
we've never had a call back for overheating electronics

Last edited:
Finally got thru to HHT Tech. They are supposed to be removed to access the insides for set up procedures like checking for gas leaks. Supposedly, each plate is laser etched with instructions to replace after service. Evidently, the manual writer never had his work checked by install techs. Either that or they missed it. Put em back on.

Finally got thru to HHT Tech. They are supposed to be removed to access the insides for set up procedures like checking for gas leaks. Supposedly, each plate is laser etched with instructions to replace after service. Evidently, the manual writer never had his work checked by install techs. Either that or they missed it. Put em back on.
Daily. Thank your for this follow up and thorough check. Much better than the customer support from direct company. Very much appreciated.

1 and only last question that I expect is a quick one. Both the remote and fireplace itself beep when ever anything is changed. Is there a setting / way to remove this loud beep? Especially from the unit itself?