Hardest wood I've seen so far

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
I am pretty sure this from my neighbors tree on the cape. This maple is hard as a rock. Those trees were very old maybe that's why. Are some maple species harder than others. I believe this is silver.

Attachments

• 1389472298781.jpg
    1389472298781.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 259
The hardest stuff is hard Maple ;lol....Sugar Maple. Red and Silver are softer.

Does this look like hard maple?

It does look like nicely figured hard maple. The figure makes it more difficult to split

Silver maple never appeared to me to be a hard wood. Hard maple is very hard of course.
Being dry it would make it hard to split. Dry silver is much easier to split too.

I split some today, half of the time it just chunks off with a direct hit of the fiskars. Its wicked dense.

Sugar Maple is also called rock maple. I processed a Hackberry where the last rounds (lowest to the ground) were completely different from the rest of the tree. The concept of grain no longer seemed to exist. It wasn't that hard, but it wanted to chunk way more than it wanted to split.

With sugar (hard) maple, I don't even bother with an 8 lb maul - it just bounces off. I think it just laughs at the Fiskars :)

Sledge and wedge is the only way to go!

Reactions: Ralphie Boy
A couple years ago I scrounged a yard-grown sugar maple from a tree service. I split everything by hand and this was the hardest, toughest, most ornery wood I ever pounded on. This winter I judged it to be the best-burning wood ever. Very hot and easy to manage in the stove. Great stuff.
That said, I think your pic looks more like silver.

A couple years ago I scrounged a yard-grown sugar maple from a tree service. I split everything by hand and this was the hardest, toughest, most ornery wood I ever pounded on. This winter I judged it to be the best-burning wood ever. Very hot and easy to manage in the stove. Great stuff.
That said, I think your pic looks more like silver.

Silver would probably make more sense given the trees still on the property now. Is silver the one with the scaly bark that falls off.

Both sugar and silver could be described as scaly but the plates of sugar maple bark tend to be larger. Silver maple bark looks more like strips. Silver maple trees have a more unruly, irregular habit of growth and often broken branches on the older ones.

Both sugar and silver could be described as scaly but the plates of sugar maple bark tend to be larger. Silver maple bark looks more like strips. Silver maple trees have a more unruly, irregular habit of growth and often broken branches on the older ones.

The plates range from quarter size to silver dollar size, some bigger.

You just raised your MA flag by using "wicked" in a sentence

you know its wierd, I never say that word, only write it for some reason. there are also words i never write, but say alot.

Some years back i built a wood drying shed using fresh cut locust posts. It was so hard I couldn't drive a 16 penny nail into it without drilling pilot holes! Another time I salvaged an old oak post that was so hard when I cut it with my cut off saw it gave off sparks! I turned some pieces with it and had to sharpen my carbon steel chisels several times for each piece! Wood can be very hard indeed!

Reactions: Soundchasm
Status
Not open for further replies.