Harman PC45 Setting up for a little used space.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bigkahuna427

Sep 2, 2018
Maine
I have a Harman PC45 that is in a space that was converted from a garage to living area. I am setting this space up to be a billiard room. It is not good for a pool table to see below freezing temps and high humidity Basically I would like to heat this at a minimum temp when it is not used to control humidity and keep at at a minimum temp using a minimum amount of pellets. Comfort is not my goal just higher than outside temp. I have been playing around with stove temp mode and keeping the feed rate turned down. I have been using it on manual as the igniter has burned out AGAIN (air pump work fine). Doing some reading here it looks like on manual and in stove temp mode set low the stove just keeps a maintenance flame and the blower won't come on. Maybe these stoves are really meant to run on room temp only? Any thoughts on settings for this situation.

Try Auto, and Stove mode. Fan should be on and stove runs at constant output. With a burned out igniter you obviously don't want it turning off. Just make sure pellets are fed enough to protect auger tip and auger tube from flame erosion (set feed rate at 4).

You might be better served with a less expensive stove that has inexpensive igniters and is tolerant of burning on a low setting (Quadrafire Santa Fe for example).

Flame erosion? Pardon me if I don't know what that is. This is my first experience with any pellet stove. I have had the feed turned as far down as it will go.

Sorry, meant to say if the feed rate is too low the flame will be burning close to auger tip which wears it away. Auger tube can develop a hole in it also at 6PM position. The pellets feeding out of the auger tube at a higher level protect this type of damage.

On the PC45, Stove Temperature and Manual mode give you a "fireplace" effect as the distribution blower won't come on until the stove is very hot. Using the automatic mode works well as an option for you. I run that mode all the time when the stove is on in my home.

Also, there's more to the auger tube erosion than just feed rate as it has to do with bypass air flows around the parts near the end of the auger tube.

You could also run a dehumidifier in that area they generate some heat as they work. Before i got the pellet stove i ran one and it cut the operation of my furnace about in half just from the heat it output