Harman XXX shut down on Manual...Why?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lightyear

Dec 24, 2010
Maryland
I have been incredibly pleased with our Harman. I replaced the blower on the cheap myself recently and have noticed a few new issues...
1. The stove was off 2 weeks ago. I turned it on as temps got colder. It was in auto and all lights were on as usual and then it stopped cold. No feeding, motors nothing. I turned it off and restarted it. It started and stopped again. I unplugged it, turned it off, put in test mode and seemed fine. I then restarted it and was successful with it starting up.
2. Today, turned temp for room down from 72 (wife) to 70 for daytime savings when No one is home (same as every morning routine ). Stove is always on manual to save ignitor. Came home to house at 65 degrees and stove off. I was concerned I burned through all our pellets and was surprised to find stove just shut down.

Definitely not what I was expecting or have ever experienced.

Any ideas or advice?

I'd start with a deep clean including the entire vent system.

I'd start with a deep clean including the entire vent system.

I can do that. I did do a massive cleaning when I installed blower about three weeks or a month ago. It hasn't been used everyday, but most.

What blower? Convection or combustion?

If the board control knobs turn loosely the potentioneters may be worn and have bad spots in them. So it works fine at one temperature setting, but if you move it slightly stove shuts off

If the board control knobs turn loosely the potentioneters may be worn and have bad spots in them. So it works fine at one temperature setting, but if you move it slightly stove shuts off

What are potentioneters?

they are your adjustment controls on the board
harmanpots.jpg

I've owned a Harman since 07, mine appeared to shut down a while back as you mention here. I tried & checked everything & still at times I would find the stove off. It turned out to be one small pellet was keeping the hopper door open from time to time causing the auger not to run.
Not sure if this will help, but something to possibly look at, now after every filling I run my finger on the back lip to make sure a pellet isn't lodged.

Reactions: Ssyko
I've owned a Harman since 07, mine appeared to shut down a while back as you mention here. I tried & checked everything & still at times I would find the stove off. It turned out to be one small pellet was keeping the hopper door open from time to time causing the auger not to run.
Not sure if this will help, but something to possibly look at, now after every filling I run my finger on the back lip to make sure a pellet isn't lodged.

Thanks, I definitely look for that, but it could have been possible. I haven't had it happen again, so hoping we are all good .

im researching it now. they are soldered on the board, easy=depends on your soldering skills. i have seen them on ebay but prices seem expensive to me, 15-25 bucks for 3 and i know prices for any pot is not $5 a piece. more like $1 ea. so they are marking them up big time.