Have to decide between wood stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

theora55

Mar 8, 2008
Southern Maine
I primarily heat my living room, @ 350 sf, but it has been nice to be able to keep my 1,000 sf house safe in a power outage. Previous stove is a Waterford Fionn, quite similar to VC Aspen, performed well for 12 years, now has some cracks, just wearing out. A slightly larger stove makes sense for me.

the 3 I've narrowed it down to are:
Vermont Castings Intrepid FlexBurn, new, eligible for tax credit
Quadra-Fire Discovery I Wood Stove, new, eligible for credit
Jotul F3, used, prob. since 2008, good condition, 650, no tax credit but a darn good price.

I've been keeping my eye out for a Jotul F3, so of course, once I started looking at new stoves, 1 came up on FB Marketplace, couple hours away. I'll need to decide on it within a couple days. Looks to be in very good condition, but will have a professional install and do any maintenance/ repair.
The VC Intrepid is on sale until end of Feb., so that's my time frame if I want to save 8%

Jotuls have a solid feel that I like. The Discovery is nice looking and taller, nice viewing area. VC Intrepid is pretty, nice cast iron stove.

I would love to hear opinions. thanks.

Last edited:
I love my Jotul. I’d get the F3 and spend what I saved on something else like insulation or a woodshed. I do like the look of the quad.
Do you want a a brand new cat stove? I think that’s the real question.
My two cents.
evan

Reactions: theora55