Hearth Cooking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firecracker_77

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Anyone ever try hearth cooking on coals directly or in a pan sitting on the coals in your stove? Most stoves have a front door that can be left open during operation. I've seen shows on PBS where they cook pizza directly on coals in outdoor wood ovens. Been on youtube watching videos of hearth cooking and would like to try it. I bet that food does taste a little smokey and much better.

I'd love to cook in it, but my stove is just a little too small inside unless it is taters in foil.

I had a chance to see an open hearth cooking demonstration last winter at a historical village open house. I think there was an apple pie in the pot with coals on it. It was a small kitchen, so I only had a few minutes to watch until the next group came in.
DSC00256.JPG

On youtube, "Jas. Townsend" has a few videos on cooking with covered pots in coals outside, but it may give you ideas.

I'm going to get a little rack to sit just above the coals and get a cast iron grill and try that this winter. I never cooked on the stove top. My stove isn't really as warm on top as some have. I'm not at 650 or 700 degrees like some post.

I really think I would get into that Colonial cooking.

Reactions: ScotO
Even though they steal heat from other parts of the house, I would still love a massive fireplace for this and many other reasons.

I think that a loaf of bread or two going in before a wood reload may work well. It would need about 20 -30 mins at 350::F , depending on what you are baking. Burning on the bottom may be an issue though.

Reactions: firecracker_77
I've grilled steaks using a camping-type grill that I support over the coals with 2 fresh splits of hickory. The hickory starts to smoke and gives the steaks a really nice flavor. I've also done hotdogs and marshmallows over the coals for indoor camp outs with the kids (well, kid--the 6 month old doesn't appreciate solid food yet). Never tried pizza, but I might now!

I've grilled steaks using a camping-type grill that I support over the coals with 2 fresh splits of hickory. The hickory starts to smoke and gives the steaks a really nice flavor. I've also done hotdogs and marshmallows over the coals for indoor camp outs with the kids (well, kid--the 6 month old doesn't appreciate solid food yet). Never tried pizza, but I might now!

You're only a few months away from your kid starting to eat solids. What a wonderful day that was when you could share steak with a kid for the first time and they make Mmmm sounds

I like the idea of getting a grate with legs for meat and putting potatoes directly on the coals as in the first video I posted. Sounds fun either way!

I used to have a Franklin fireplace with the swing in grill. It used to drive the neighbors nuts to smell me cooking steaks or chops over the wood in the dead of winter!!! :)

Reactions: ScotO
I had the same experience as tj, I had the same stove, I used to make hamburgers on the grill, I could see people walking outside in winter, sniffing the air, thinking who the heck is bq in a snow storm. I used to love it.

Before and after pics . . . rib eyes in a cast iron fry pan on coals . . . a bit of olive oil in the base and seasoned with just salt and pepper. Took just a few minutes. Very tasty. Did it after seeing another member post pics of steaks in his stove.

Attachments

• BFD Pics 349.jpg
    BFD Pics 349.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 181
  • BFD Pics 350.jpg
    BFD Pics 350.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 190
Before and after pics . . . rib eyes in a cast iron fry pan on coals . . . a bit of olive oil in the base and seasoned with just salt and pepper. Took just a few minutes. Very tasty. Did it after seeing another member post pics of steaks in his stove.

Salt and pepper is all the fine steakhouses use I think. Looks good to me!!!

I'm going to get a little rack to sit just above the coals and get a cast iron grill and try that this winter
Make sure it is not a chromed grille. That can give off some nasty stuff when it gets super hot. ;sick Try to find either an iron grate or a stainless steel grille.....a piece of stainless steel expanded metal would be perfect.

I really think I would get into that Colonial cooking.
Couldn't agree more! That's the main reason I cook on the firepit SEVERAL TIMES A WEEK! :p;)

Reactions: firecracker_77
Make sure it is not a chromed grille. That can give off some nasty stuff when it gets super hot. ;sick Try to find either an iron grate or a stainless steel grille.....a piece of stainless steel expanded metal would be perfect.

Couldn't agree more! That's the main reason I cook on the firepit SEVERAL TIMES A WEEK! :p;)

ahahah...i would like one of those swing arm things that you hang pots from and control the heat by how close you have it to the hearth.

ahahah...i would like one of those swing arm things that you hang pots from and control the heat by how close you have it to the hearth.
You are referring to what is called a 'crane'. I have an original crane (from the 1750's) hanging in my barn, it is a small one that would have been used in a small hearth. I contemplated modifying it to work in my Napoleon NZ3000 ZC fireplace, but I just don't have the heart to cut it or modify it. So eventually, it will hang in our kitchen as a decorative piece. I also have TONS of hand wrought ladles, pans, pots, skimmers, forks and 'peels' (spatulas) from the 1700s that will someday hang off of my mantle in the great room. Nothing like the character and warmth that those old utensils bring to a room....

Status
Not open for further replies.