Hearth Protection for new Jotul F602

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nuthatch

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Hi folks, I'm looking through the Jotul documentation for my new F602 v2 and want to make sure I'm reading the hearth protection right.

It says under 'hearth protection': "Either of the following forms constitutes approved hearth protection: any UL, ULC or Warnock-Hersey listed hearth board. • any noncombustible material with installation of the included Bottom Heat Shield. The floor protection must have a minimum R value of 0.45."

My question from reading that: The bottom heat shield is installed, so do I have to install a hearth pad that has a minimum R value of 0.45? Or will any non-combustible material suffice? I'm considering putting copper sheet metal under the stove.

Thanks

It's poorly written but the implication is that the hearth needs an R=.45 rating or higher.

It’s too bad some manufacturers haven’t gotten with the program to require just ember protection. This R requirement is a sign of poor engineering and/or poor design priorities.

Reactions: Chuck the Canuck
Thanks, folks. Yes, for sure no one wants the floor to be at risk, but would be great not to have to wrestle with another set of clearances.